Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Bogging down...

Cranberry bogs, eh?  That'll work. Peat isn't something you can cultivate. It's either already there, growing, or it isn't. Our good friends at Wikipedia have a nice article about peat; I didn't know peat accumulates at the blazing rate of 1mm per year.

-----

The mention of sections and acreage got me thinking of the old days in the Planning Division of Model Cities, where I did stuff involving charts, graphs, and lots of maps. Forgot most of it, but recall lots of talk about sections, townships, and ranges.

The cool thing was going to City Hall to the Department of Development & Planning on the 11th floor where you could buy aerial photos of the city for one dollar. They were big, about 24 inches square, and only covered one square mile. Lots of detail for studying land use and figuring out how to spend all that federal money that was rolling into the cities at the time.

They weren't real photos, but halftone images reproduced like engineering drawings using ammonia. Unless kept in a dark container they faded after time; you didn't keep them on display but they were good enough to use for research purposes.

So, looking at those aerial photos you'd know that you were looking at one square mile, 640 acres.  Each full city block is 1/8 mile, so you got 64 full city blocks, 10 acres each, per square mile. But sidestreets cut those full blocks in half, into what I'll call a "short block" of 5 acres.  Then the alley cuts the short block in half, to 2 1/2 acres.

City folk are usually clueless when visualizing acreage, but I knew then that my Uncle Vernie's dairy farm of 240 acres was a decent bit of land.

-----

The AR-15 (Armalite Model 15) was adopted by the US military as the M16 after Colt bought Armalite and made some mods. The M15 was a variant of the M14 but there's a new  M15 that looks a lot different (Google Images). Source: Wikipedia.

I preferred the M14 myself. With it's nice wooden stock it seemed to me be a swell deer rifle, good and hefty with a satisfying kick.  Not so good in jungle combat, I've heard.  And I've never hunted deer, either.

-----

Exaggeration for effect is perfectly acceptable, Uncle Ken.  Last time I checked your creative license was still valid.

But I found something fishy about the city's measurements. Wells is 200W and State is 0, so that should be 1/4 mile, right?  Using the measuring tool in Google Earth the distance is about 300 feet longer than it should be.  I think the city fudged the numbers at some time; I've seen the same thing on the near south side.  Up until about 600S (maybe further) the numbering doesn't measure up to one full block equaling 1/8 mile.  More study is required.

-----

According to some studies about the generosity of nations, the US is #2 after Myanmar.  Albania is #83... 

-----

Is there a consensus on the identity of dead horses and the futility of flogging same?  Don't need a zombie equine uprising.

And I see that images can be inserted...anybody try that?   Images might sully the elegant simplicity of  Institute's proceedings, though.




No comments:

Post a Comment