Search This Blog

Sunday, July 24, 2016

So Many Hobbies, So Little Time

I think that Jim Henson was dead or retired by the time the "Dinosaurs" series came out, but his son Brian was listed as executive producer. Earl Sinclair was the daddy dinosaur. He worked as a tree pusher for B.P. Richfield of the WESAYSO Company.

If you ever have to scale a fish again, they make a special tool for that called a "fish scaler. You can use a knife in a pinch, but a fish scaler works much better. They are not expensive and are sold in any bait and tackle shop. To keep the scales from flying all over the place, scale your fish under water in a sink or wash basin. Any fish over foot long is better if it's fileted and skinned. It's a bit of a skill, but it can be learned. Some people filet everything, but I like the taste of the skin on the smaller fish. The skin on the larger fish frequently has a strong taste, and it's better to remove it. You need a special thin bladed knife for that job, called a "fileting knife".

I don't think the fishing has declined all over. It's just that a spot that was good last year may not be so good this year. In a river, all you usually have to do is move up or down stream, or closer or farther from the bank. Fish do not stay in the same place all the time anyway, depending on weather, water temperature, and availability of food. To be consistently successful, you have to follow them wherever they go. Every day you start off where they were the last time and, if they're not there, try to figure out where they went and go there. It helps if you spend a lot of time on the water. If you just go a few times a year, you will likely fish where they were last week.

I burn about 10 full cords of wood a year (4' X 4' X 8'). The trees are not all the same size, so there would be no point in counting trees. On my property, the trees are growing back faster than I cut them down, so I'm not going to run out any time soon. The areas I want to keep open are mostly tractor trails and clearings for the wildlife. Wildlife likes a variety of habitat, all trees is just as bad as no trees. I have a hydraulic machine to split my wood, I'll see if I can find a picture of it in my files.





No comments:

Post a Comment