Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

the party of Ice Cream

I think you can be a member of a party without having a card or paying dues, and as i have said that has been my experience with the dems.  And consider this: have you ever heard of anybody being tossed out of either party?  And you know that people in office can switch parties at the drop of a hat.  Speaking of hats, being a member of a party is a lot like being a cowboy, if you wear the hat you can be a cowboy too.

I didn't say that you were a member of the NRA.  Looking back through the last post I come across the phrase NRA-penned blather.  By that I meant that the NRA is a big propaganda machine and they spout a lot of talking points which are taken up by gun nuts, so that all you guys tend to use the same arguments over and over, whether they parse logically or not.

Speaking of the NRA they seem to run a tighter ship, card and dueswise. than either political party or I daresay, because I love to say it, the 'Tarians!  A recent poll had the big girl at fifty, Trump at forty, and the 'Tarians! at 10, but other than that I have heard precious little of Gary and John.  You know I almost said Ben and Jerry, and speaking of which isn't that a suspicious coincidence?  I suppose being the Party of Principle could get you some votes, but clearly being the party of Ice Cream will get you way more.

I don't think cult of personality is the phrase you really want, that is more like Trump or the latest Kim, maybe more like Trump because Kim, his people may truly love him, but they are not really given a choice, whereas Trump, nobody is forced to like him, they just do.  Anyway I think what you don't like is where if you had more hotshot friends you can get away with stuff that people who have fewer loser friends.   What, ROTC never asked you to do anything illegal?  Was there some organization at Gage Park that was urging illegality?  Maybe in the chess club they would look the other way if you castled even if you had already moved your king, but that was as illegal as we ever got.
noun
  1. 1.
    an automatic gun that fires bullets in rapid succession for as long as the trigger is pressed.

This is what I think of as a machine gun.  i know that there are all kinds of terms and models, but I'd like to keep it simple.  Your argument seems to be that since Mateen was planning an illegal act, he would not have hesitated to commit the other illegal act of obtaining his AR-15 illegally, which would have been his only recourse if these guns were made illegal, therefore there is no point in making AR-15s illegal.  This is kind of what I mean by NRA-penned blather that doesn't parse logically.

The reason my ilk wants to make AR-15s illegal is not so that guys like Mateen will have a crisis of conscience obtaining them, but to make them hard to obtain.  He may still get one anyway, but it will be harder.  That is all we are hoping to obtain, to make it harder for guys like Mateen to get guns like the AR-15. 

And speaking of AR-15s, I am just using it as an example of the definition of the machine gun I got from google above.

I didn't say there was no way for mental health professionals to identify future killers, I just said that they miss a lot.  Maybe we pay them for catching the ones that they do.

I believe crimes are frequently solved by finding a gun and tracing it back to its owner.  I believe I read that in the newspapers often, but then I read more newspapers than you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment