Search This Blog

Friday, June 10, 2016

More Confusion

They must do it differently in Illinois than they do in Michigan. I have been member of the American Independent Party, The Republican Party, and the Libertarian Party. I don't remember if I paid dues to the first one, but I do remember paying dues to the Republican Party and the Libertarian Party. I don't remember if the first two ever issued me a membership card, but the Libertarians certainly did, and they sent me a new one every year when I paid my annual dues by mail.

I don't think we have anything like precinct committeemen around here. We have precincts, but that is only so you'll know to which township hall you go to vote. Generally the borders of our precincts and the borders of our townships are congruent, but some townships are sparsely populated, so they might combine two townships or parts of two townships to make one precinct. In that case, everybody in the precinct votes in the same township hall, whether or not they actually live in that township. You can only vote for township officials of the township in which you reside so, when they give you your ballot, they ask you which township you live in so they can give you the correct ballot. In the City of Cheboygan, which is not part of any township, they have several polling places and it goes by wards. At least they used to call them wards, maybe they call them precincts by now. Chicago used to have wards too, but I don't know if a ward is exactly the same thing as a precinct. When you were a precinct committeeman, did you work for your city or township, or did you work for the Democratic Party? Either way, I find it hard to believe that they didn't issue you some kind of I.D. Were you still into the whacky weed in those days? I understand that stuff can impair your memory, but so can old age.

We used to register to vote with our township clerk, but now we do it at the Secretary of State, which is the same place we get our driver's licenses. I don't remember taking any kind of oath when I registered to vote, or when I transferred my registration after a change of address. I think the township still issues voter registration cards, but I have never been asked to show mine when I voted, so I don't carry it in my wallet anymore. When I first started having back problems some 40 years ago, I was advised to make my wallet as thin as possible, so the only cards I carry now are my driver's license, my hunting and fishing licenses, and my debit card. Everything else goes into the black hole that is my top dresser drawer. It must be a black hole because stuff goes in there and never comes out, yet the drawer doesn't seem to get any fuller.

I thought I made this clear before, but a certain amount of memory loss is normal at our age: I am not now, nor have I ever been a member of any Tea Party organization. It is my understanding that the Tea Party is a grass roots political movement composed of numerous local chapters that are loosely affiliated with some kind of national group. There is a local chapter in Cheboygan, but all I know about them is what I have read in the newspaper. I have never attended any of their meetings, nor do I plan to. I've got nothing against them, but I don't join anything anymore.

 I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of any organization that promotes the candidacy of Donald Trump, nor have I given any of them any money. I do not plan to vote for him in November, I plan vote for the Libertarian candidate for President, and the Republican candidates for everything else. The only things I know about Trump are what you have told me and what I have read in the newspaper or seen on TV.

Saturday: I heard on the news this evening that Hillary has clinched the nomination. I wonder if the Bernie fans will support her as expected. With both major parties divided as they are, this might be the year that the third parties make a dent in the wall. One can only hope.

I copied this from the Wiki article "Gray wolf":
"It is a social animal, travelling in nuclear families consisting of a mated pair, accompanied by the pair's adult offspring.[15] The gray wolf is typically an apex predator throughout its range, with only humans and tigers[9][16][17][18] posing a serious threat to it. It feeds primarily on large ungulates, though it also eats smaller animals, livestock, carrion, and garbage.[4] "

No comments:

Post a Comment