Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Card Carriers, RINOs, and Wolves

Sure there are organizations that promote certain candidates, raise money for them, and sponsor advertising for them, but they are not all political parties. A political party is an organization that actually gets a candidate's name put on the ballot under their logo. In Michigan you can put your own name on the primary ballot. When I filed for County Commissioner, all I had to do was pick up a petition form from the County Clerk, get a few signatures on it, and turn it back in to the clerk. If I had been running unopposed, or had won the primary vote, then the Republican Party would have put my name on the general election ballot. It wouldn't matter that I wasn't a card carrying party member although, at some point in the process, somebody would likely have asked me to join the party. If I had declined to join, they couldn't have kicked me off the ballot even if they had wanted to. Running for President is different, you have to be nominated by the party at their national convention to get on the ballot. In Michigan the party also nominates candidates for some offices at the state convention. I think Secretary of State is one of them, and I'm sure all the judges are, but I don't remember what other ones.

From what you have told me, it doesn't sound like you actually tried to join the party, you just volunteered to help out with the campaign. I'm not sure about that Precinct Captain job. Were you elected to that position or did somebody just appoint you? It would seem that they would want you to be a party member for that, but I don't know what a Precinct Captain does exactly. Is it anything like a Ward Healer? I think the correct title was Ward Committeeman, but my parents always referred to the old drunk that held that job in our neighborhood as a Ward Healer. I don't think they liked him very much.

Now that I think of it, I don't remember hearing anybody called a RINO before the Tea Party came on the scene, so maybe they invented the term. Truth be known, all Republicans never did march in lockstep with each other, or all Democrats either for that matter. When the Tea Party types tried to take over the Republican Party, they branded all the moderates as RINOs. I suppose the party establishment types have a name or two that they call the Tea Party types, but I have not heard of any.

It may be true that wolves spend more time hunting as individuals or pairs than they do in packs, but I don't think you could rightly say that they never hunt in packs. I know that the subordinate pack members bring in food for the Alphas' pups. Anything they can't carry home, they eat themselves and later regurgitate it for the pups to eat. (Ew, gross!) I have seen them do this on TV so it must be true. Man, they show anything on TV nowadays! The pups are born in  the spring and should be ready to start learning how to hunt themselves by winter, which is when food gets scarce and everybody gets more serious about finding it. Maybe that's when the pack hunting starts, with the pups following the adults around trying to find something to chew on.

I think that skirt chasers and womanizers are called wolves because wolves are predatory creatures. They show up in European folklore from time to time, and they are never the good guy in the story. I have read that wolves in Europe were historically more feared and reviled than they ever were in the U.S. This might be because, by the time Europeans started immigrating to the U.S., they had guns, while they did not for much of Old World history. Fighting off a pack of hungry wolves with a spear or a sword certainly must be more challenging than shooting at them from 40 yards away, even with a muzzle loader. Also, the farther back in history you go, the less humans and the more wolves there must have been in Europe, so the humans probably didn't always win the fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment