Search This Blog

Monday, June 20, 2016

That's It Then

Funny how we can talk about so many subjects reasonably, but not this one. Well you have one vote and I have one vote, and it seems we are destined to cancel each other out for eternity. I will never vote for an anti gun candidate, and you will never vote for a pro gun candidate. So be it.

I thought that 43 million number was a bit high too, so I looked up the Republican Party, and they only have 30 million members. Put them together, along with the third parties, and it would seem that about 20% of the U.S. population is a card carrying member of a political party, which I find hard to believe. I once read somewhere that only 10% of the population of the former Soviet Union were card carrying Communists. I had some distant relatives in the former Czechoslovakia. I never met them, but my parents did when they went over there back in the '70s, and a few of them came over and visited my parents in Palos Park after that. One of these guys was a card carrier himself, and he said that a lot of people joined the party just because it looked good on their resume. In certain fields of work, you could only rise so far on the totem pole without being a party member, and being accepted into the party was considered to be an honor. Be that as it may, I still have not proven that the Democrats and the Republicans issue membership cards, but I think I have established that they do have members, and that just voting for a party does not necessarily make you a member. Do you dispute that?

Another thing I stumbled on while looking up about the memberships was that the Republicans have, in addition to their majority in both houses of Congress, a majority of the state governorships, and the majority of state legislative bodies have a Republican majority. This seems odd, considering that the Democrats have way more party members and seem destined to occupy the White House for at least another four years. My hypothetical wife hypothesized that the reason is the Republicans can't seem to come up with any good presidential candidates lately, and she may be right about that.

I haven't heard much about the Bernie fans lately. Do you think they will support Hillary, or are they likely to jump ship and make a third party run? I understand that the Dump Trump people are still beating the bushes for somebody to make a third party run against Trump. I read somewhere that all it would take to derail the whole election and send it to the House of Representatives would be for a third party to take one state the size of Utah. No third party has taken a whole state since George Wallace took five of them in '68 but, like I said, anything is possible in this goofy election.

No comments:

Post a Comment