Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Running With the Pack

I don't know about the anarchists, but a libertarian is just a guy who believes in libertarian principles, while a Libertarian is a card carrying member of the Libertarian Party. It's the same with democrats and republicans, although many people today might say that they are Republicans or Democrats  just because they usually vote for Republican or Democratic candidates. Funny, though, that "Tea Party" is almost always capitalized, I suppose to distinguish it from a tea party where people actually sit around and drink tea together. As I have said before, there are many Tea Party organizations that may or may not be affiliated with the national Tea Party, if there even is such a thing anymore. Maybe it was the same with the anarchists, several anarchist type organizations that may or may not have been affiliated with each other.

I don't know why you were not able to join the Democratic Party, maybe it's by invitation only. I was invited to join the Republican Party when I was elected as a precinct delegate back in the 70s. I didn't need to be a party member to run for the job but, after I was elected and showed up at the meeting, I was invited to join, although the chairman told me that I didn't have to if I didn't want to. I was the only elected person at that meeting, so the others must have been party members because they seemed to know each other, and somebody must have elected the chairman at some point in time. The meeting was of the Cheboygan County Republicans, and we chose delegates to the national convention. There was no voting, the chairman just asked "Who wants to go to the convention?", and some guys raised their hands. I suppose they were allocated a certain number of delegates and, if there had been more volunteers than they had allocations, they would have voted on it. Later the chairman called me on the phone and asked me if I wanted to go to the state convention, which I have previously told you about. The Democrats in your area must have something like that, although I understand that all the states don't run their parties exactly the same way.

I don't know what Trump is doing about funding right now. I understand that he mostly financed his primary campaign with is own money, but he might be soliciting donations for his presidential run.

The Libertarian Party was founded in the 1970s, so they wouldn't have been around during World War II. I was just speculating when I said that they probably wouldn't have been opposed to that one. I don't think they are pacifists, they just don't want the U.S. to be tangled up in the conflicts of other countries. I have heard them called "isolationists", but I don't know if they would call themselves that.

As far as I know, grey wolves, a.k.a. timber wolves, have always been social animals. You might have them confused with coyotes, which are technically just a subspecies of wolves. Coyotes occasionally form temporary hunting packs in the winter to pursue larger prey like adult deer, but they usually hang out in family units, Mamma, Poppa, and this year's pups. Those pups will disperse and go their own way when Mamma and Poppa start working on next year's pups, usually in late winter or early spring. A  grey wolf pack might contain several generations of pups from the Alpha male and the Alpha female, as well as some unrelated individuals that have been allowed to join up. Generally the Alphas are the only breeders and everybody else helps take care of their pups. The Alphas will sometimes let another pair breed but, when food gets scarce, the Alphas' pups get fed first.

Lone wolves are usually either orphans whose pack has been killed off, unsuccessful challengers to the Alpha position, or former Alphas that have been overthrown by some punk kid trying to make a name for himself. Lone wolves have a harder time of it than pack wolves because they have to fend for themselves, which is not what wolves are good at. The younger ones might try to join another pack, or they might find a mate and start a pack of their own. The old deposed Alphas usually just walk off into the sunset and are never seen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment