Search This Blog

Friday, June 17, 2016

Gary and John, modern day drifters

Yes, I was talking about the cowboy image, myth is perhaps a better word, but not so much myth in the sense of untrue but myth in the sense of legendary.  The real job was kind of a crap job and those who had any kind of skills took other jobs. 

But they did ride horses, and they wore those cool hats, and they carried their guns outside their pants for all the honest world to see.  If they shot each other more often than effete easterners I don't know, but they got picked up by the dime novels, and maybe because we didn't have any mounted knights in our history we gobbled up their legend. 

Lyndon Johnson was not a cowboy but he came from cattle ranchers who had lost their ranch.  Ronnie Reagan loved to ride horses and sometimes he posed as a cowboy, but he was an actor after all.  W had a ranch, and he claimed to love riding fences, and maybe he was dumb enough to be a cowboy.

Willie Nelson was strictly the mythic cowboy (a modern day drifter, though I don't think he has drifted much), and none of those guys who sang about cowboys (Those outlaws, Willie and Waylon and the boys) were cowboys.  And the modern day guys who sing pop and call it country and are never without their hats, none of them were cowboys either.

I still don't get your idea that there is a definite line between like an official democrat and a guy who just votes for them every time.  But I got a letter from a friend yesterday and she spoke of her son who didn't get to vote in the California primary because he registered as an independent.  Then I went to the google machine and discovered that in some states when you registered to vote you registered by party or independent, and then I get the impression that if you registered as an independent and wanted to vote in the rep or dem primary the next time around you had to change your registration.

How peculiar.  I don't think I registered as any particular party when I first registered, but then i was in a hurry because my Stanley Steamer was double parked, and what's that phrase you use all the time (I reckon because you don't remember that you used it before) about a certain amount of memory loss?

Anyway ever since then when I walk into the polling place on primary day they ask me if I want a rep or dem ballot like they have never seen me before.  I do know from my McGovern days, that when I do, there is a Democratic poll watcher taking note of that and I end up on a list the dems have of their guys.  Not sure what they do with that list, but maybe that makes me a registered, or what you like to call a card-carrying Democrat.

Most likely the big girl will kill, but you never know what is going to happen in an election, and we dems have been proclaiming Trumps downfall every week since he began running and we have been wrong every time, so we are a wee bit nervous.  But this is the Party of Principle and Ice Cream's big chance.  I think most people are unaware of the whole agenda of the 'Tarians! because all we have seen on the national stage are reps pretending to be Libs, but only espousing only the right-wing side of the ideology, so that the image of Libs has been republicans putting on airs. 

I'm not that fond of the big girl, but it always surprises me how much she is hated, but it is a fact, and Trump is hated even more.  I don't think they will be much more than a flash in the pan, but I think this is the 'Tarians! big chance.  I haven't seen much of Gary or John, but they don't look very charismatic.  Maybe if they wore cowboy hats, and hey, it wouldn't hurt if they carried two ice cream cones, one chocolate the other strawberry, screw the vanilla, in each holster.

It's my opinion that you gun nuts spin out these names, assault, tactical, sooper dooper death machine, to confuse me and my fellow gun control nuts, so I am not going to play that game.  My impression on your Grand Compromise was that you were willing to give up the automatic, but not the semi automatic (my chief complaint being it's easy conversion), and that's the offer I called a non-starter.  But a certain amount of memory loss etc, and if your offer is the semi automatic, why then I accept. Done deal. Shake hands Podner.

And it's not a problem with me at all if the prices on these weapons subsequently soar.  The higher the price, the less likely they are to fall into the hands of low-lifes.  It's really not the owning of these sooper dooper death machines that bothers me, it's the shooting of them.

Happy weekend.  Next week I'll have a visitor here in the tower so I probably won't be posting Tuesday through Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment