Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Call Them What They Is

Why do the Libertarians need a nickname? What's wrong with the name they already have? Anybody who doesn't know the difference between a liberal and a libertarian probably wouldn't understand the Libertarian message anyway. That's one thing that has held the Libertarians back for all these years, their message is designed to appeal to intelligent people. They used to argue about that back in the day. Some members believed the party should diversify its message to attract more voters, while others believed they should stick to their founding principles no matter what. Speaking of founding things, the Libertarian Party was founded in the early 1970s by some guys who were disillusioned with Nixon but couldn't bring themselves to vote for a Democrat. Too bad I didn't know about them at the time, I wouldn't have felt compelled to vote for McGovern just because he wasn't Nixon. They were around for a decade or two before I found out about them, so I don't think it's right to call them "my new party".

That's a good idea you had about attacking Trump just to get free publicity. Anything Trump says will likely be on the evening news in short order. I could write them a letter to recommend it, but then I would be back on their mailing list and they'd always be asking me for money. I don't really want to get involved with those people again, I just want to vote for their guy because I don't like any of the other candidates. I'm grateful that somebody has kept the party alive all these years to provide me with a third option, but not grateful enough to become politically active myself. I'm a month behind with my firewood again this year, and I need another hobby like I need a hole in my head.

I heard mention of third parties on the news this evening, but I didn't catch the whole thing, something about them possibly upsetting the apple cart this time. I was surprised to hear anybody in the mainstream media even acknowledging the existence of third parties but, like I said before, anything can happen in this goofy election. This election would be something to tell our grand children about, except that my only grand child is old enough to vote herself, and you don't have any.

What I said about the eight hour day was that it is not a law, at least not on the federal level. Illinois might have it, but Michigan does not. Overtime pay for more than 40 hours a week is a federal law, but overtime pay for more than eight hours a day is not. Unless your union contract says otherwise, they can work you 12 hours a day for three days, give you the rest of the week off, and not have to pay you for overtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment