Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

All Trump All the Time

Sorry I didn't answer your question about semi autos, but you didn't ask it like a question, you stated it like an assertion. I didn't figure there was any use arguing about it because your mind was already made up. Of course semi autos don't have any use in your civilian life and, truth be known, I'm not crazy about them myself, but lots of people have made use of them in their own civilian lives for hunting, target shooting, and protection. Of course most of the people who buy a gun for protection will never have to use it, but it makes them feel more secure just having it around. It's like taking a jacket or raincoat to a picnic, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I got those numbers about the political parties from Wiki. Look up "Democratic Party (United States)" and "Republican Party (United States)". I thought the membership numbers were too high myself, but I used to think the percentage of Native American Indians in Michigan was a lot higher than Wiki reported. I thought the fact that they have members at all tended to confirm my assertion about the subject, but I need to find more evidence to prove it conclusively. Most of the information on Wiki was about the national parties, so I need to look into the state parties and maybe the county parties. When I joined the Republicans back in '76, it was at a meeting of the Cheboygan County party.

The two major parties don't need to spin off any third parties, there are several third parties out there already that can siphon off votes from both sides. Your ilk can vote for the Green Party, and my ilk can vote for the Libertarians. There are some others that may or may not be on the ballot in all states, but those two are the major minor parties.

I seem to remember reading about that Utah thing in our local paper, but I might have seen it on the Bloomberg Channel. I go there a couple times a day to check the stock market numbers, and sometimes I hang around for a few minutes to see what they're talking about. I don't stay long because it's been the same thing over and over again lately, "Trump, Trump, Trump". Today the opinion page in our local paper featured two different syndicated columnists and a political, cartoon. All three were about Trump, and they took up the whole page. I don't remember that ever happening before, but maybe it's going to be the new normal.

Anyway, the theory is that it's going to be a close race, maybe not so much with the popular vote, but with the electoral vote, which is the only one that matters. They looked at some polls and past voting records, so they know exactly how each state is going to vote, except for Utah which, for some reason, is the wild card in the deck. If a third party were to take Utah, then neither Trump nor Hillary would have a majority of the electoral votes, so the race would be decided by the House of Representatives as per the Constitution. They would be required to pick one of the top three contenders, and each state gets one vote, no matter how many representatives they have. Seeing as there are 50 states, it could possibly come out as a tie vote between two of the top three candidates. I don't think the Constitution says what would happen in that eventuality. I'll have to look that up one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment