Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Sadly in search of, but one step in back of, themselves and their slow movin' dreams

I grew up a-dreamin' of bein' a cowboy
And lovin' the cowboy ways
Pursuin' the life of my high ridin' heroes
I burned up my childhood days
I learned all the rules of a modern day drifter
Don't you hold on to nothin' too long
Just take what you need from the ladies, then leave them
With the words of a sad country song
My heroes have always been cowboys
And they still are, it seems
Sadly, in search of, but one step in back of
Themselves and their slow movin' dreams
Cowboys are special with their own brand of misery
From being alone too long
You could die from the cold, in the arms of a nightmare
Knowin' well that your best days are gone
Pickin' up hookers instead of my pen
I let the words of my youth fade away
Old worn-out saddles, and old worn-out memories
But no one and no place to stay

Now there's a cowboy. It has nothing to do with cattle.  It has everything to do with leaning against a fence with a cig dangling from your mouth and a squint in your eyes trying to impress some hot but not very bright babe, and the hat of course.

Same with the dems, except we didn't have hats.  We should have had hats.  I've always thought one of the things that has stood the Roman Catholics well over the last almost two thousand years is their panoply of hats.

But even without the hat, and the dues, and that stinking card, I was then, and am now, and probably in the proud words of our methodist forebears I shall be one till I die, till grim old death comes a'knocking on my door, I'll be a Democrat till I die.  And if there is any hot but not too bright babe within earshot, I am also cowboy.

The last time we had this discussion there was a whole bramble bush of different terms for shooting irons, and I can see where previous efforts at sensible gun control had floundered on the reef of all those definitions, and I wanted to avoid that by having a simpler definition.  Let's just toss out the term machine gun and go with the previously quoted definition.


1.
an automatic gun that fires bullets in rapid succession for as long as the trigger is pressed.


As you have pointed out there are some weapons that can easily be converted to automatic weapons.  These would have to go too of course, because otherwise what is the point.  I'm sure they could put in some tamper proof thingy that would make such a transformation impossible or at least extremely difficult.

As you can see your previous 'compromise' was a non-starter, since you weren't giving anything up it was not a compromise at all.  Let me repeat the thrust of my argument. 

Such weapons have no practical use except for maniacs at the shooting gallery (and to show how tolerant I am i would allow these weapons to be stocked at the shooting gallery, but not taken away), and overthrowing the gummint, which is illegal anyway.  Further, in the hands of madmen, which there will always be, they have killed a scad of people who would not have died if the shooter was less potently armed.  Therefore away with them all.  But not with Old Betsy and her ilk of course.

But i am merely honing my argument.  These are just thought experiments, nothing will happen.  I see where a movement to refuse permits to suspected terrorists never got past the talking points.

So I see where Gary and John and the 'Tarians! are polling at twelve percent and they will be appearing on a CNN town hall, I think Wednesday night.  If they can get fifteen percent they will be in the debates, and very likely will get their own ice cream. 

This was a little worrisome to me, since I view Trump vs the big girl as a lead pipe cinch, but I noticed in the poll that the big girl beat Trump by even more when the 'Tarians! were in the mix.  And the way i see it, the 'Tarians! will have to attack Trump to get traction, and of course Trump will attack anybody, and I think the big girl will just stand at her podium with a smug smile thinking My my my how you boys carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment