Search This Blog

Friday, May 4, 2018

When it Rains, it Pours

I drove some 30 miles to Alanson yesterday to buy a new tractor, as my old one has developed several issues and I don't want to put any more money into it because it's 19 years old. Just as I got home and turned into my driveway, three different alarms went off, telling me that something was wrong with my brakes, and the pedal suddenly felt pretty soft. I called the Chevy shop and they told me that they couldn't even look at till Saturday, but that I could leave it with them until then if I wanted to. My wife followed me there in her car to give me a ride home and in case my brakes failed on the way there, which they didn't.

Rain was being predicted for today and I was looking forward to taking advantage of the good sleeping weather, but it was not to be. I woke up to a cold house around 7:00 AM. We ran out of firewood a few weeks ago and have been using the gas furnace, which now wasn't working. We have had an intermittent leak in the roof over the furnace for years, but have never been able to track it down. It only leaks when it rains really hard like today, and has never been anything more than an annoyance, but today it rained really really hard and water got into the furnace controls, which is why the furnace wasn't working. I called our favorite plumbing and heating shop and they sent a guy out. He couldn't work on the controls until the rain stopped, but he was able to identify what parts were needed. The good news is that this guy used to be in the roofing business and was also able to identify the source of the leak, which he wouldn't have been able to do if the leaking had stopped before he got here. He said that he could fix that too, but not till next week. Meanwhile, they rented us a portable electric space heater, which should be sufficient for the weather that is being predicted.

The tractor is being delivered next week too, and it will likely be that long till the Chevy people can fix my brakes because they only work four hours on Saturday. With our luck, all three events will happen on the same day, but at least there is no significant rain predicted for next week.

5/5/18 - Here's something I just stumbled across that might be relevant to our recent discussion of the Canadian social credit theory:

https://a.msn.com/r/2/AAwHjO3?m=en-us

No comments:

Post a Comment