Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

The (Amateur) Legal Beagle Reports

I heard mention of the recent Supreme Court ruling about class action lawsuits on the news the other day, but I didn't have enough information to render an informed opinion of my own, so I looked it up: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/16-285_q8l1.pdf

I didn't read the whole thing through but, near as I can tell, the litigants have a union contract that specifies how their arbitration proceedings are to work, and the plaintiffs wanted to do something different.  The court ruled that they have to follow their union contract. What's wrong with that? The fact that the Chief Justice was recently appointed by President Trump is irrelevant.

The city, the township, and the coast guard cutter are spelled "Mackinaw".  The straits, the island, the bridge, and the county are spelled "Mackinac". Both spellings are pronounced "Mackinaw".  Mackinaw City is not in Mackinac County, it straddles the border between Cheboygan and Emmet counties, while Mackinac County is in the Upper Peninsula. Mackinaw Township is in Cheboygan County, and contains part of Mackinaw City.

No comments:

Post a Comment