Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

American Idol solves America's problems

I'm pretty sure that I've never seen even a second of American Idol, not  even channel surfing, not that I have ever done that either, it sounds so stupid, who does that anyway?  A lot of people considering  the exposure it gets in popular culture, well I don't get it.

And I don't get that style of singing that I think is big on American idol, judging by little excerpts I see from time to time, you know where the singer throws back their head and busts a gut holding some note for an impossibly long time. long enough to get me yawning I tell you.  Divas I think they call them, don't care for that at all.

Kelly Clarkson is one of them, I've heard her name.  I can't say if I know what genre she sings in but I assume it is glitter pop, something like that.  Heard her name at the end of last night's network news.  Network news follows a pattern, the first fifteen minutes is generally just straight news, and airs without commercials, then it gets spotty, more soft news, more commercials, and the last segment is always something oh, heartwarming, something to send us off with the feeling that there may be troubles aplenty but the human heart is plenty strong, and plenty of human hearts beating together will bring us a better tomorrow. 

Something like that.  I almost always change the channel before the news gets to that last segment, but sometimes, you know, the cats distract me,  And so it came to pass last night, and there was Kelly Clarkson who had been asked to end her boffo concert with a prayer for the Texas kids and the Florida kids.  but bold soul that she is, she decried no, there has been enough praying and I don't know, mylar balloons, the time has come for action.  The thing to do was to go back home to your community and get active and do something to end this scourge.

But do what?  Well gun control seems the most obvious, anymore it seems to center on no more automatic rifles and stricter controls on who gets a gun.  The second option is the armed cop, teacher, volunteer, which doesn't  have quite as good a ring, and then there is that mental illness thing where the solution is to solve crazy, and then there is that sick society thing, which folks, generally old folks, like to jaw on endlessly about, no matter what the situation is.

I think one of the big logical flaws is discussing these shootings individually.  So that's what I'll do,.  Florida had armed guards but they never did anything, and the shooter had an automatic rifle, so score one for gun control.  Texas had armed guards who actually shot the guy, and he had his daddy's shotgun so you could call that a score for the armed guard set, though the gun control people might quibble that the armed guards didn't get him until he had killed ten, and doubtless he would have killed many more had he had an AR-15.

I suppose we could have both, but neither side seems to like that.  The armed guard guys are generally gun nuts, and the gun control guys don't want what they see as their issue taken away by the armed guard guys.

I think Kelly Clarkson ended her little speech condemning those whose hearts are so dead that they don't see a solution.  I think I am one of those guys

No comments:

Post a Comment