Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Palmer Penmanship, footnotes, and boot camp

I read Old Dog's article and remain unconvinced.  It was just the opinion of some muckety muck in England and there was no study attached.  I guess I will concede that kids have an easier time reading analog clocks, so why not replace them with digital clocks, but the idea that kids in general cannot learn to read analog clocks seems a bit farfetched, I mean it's not that hard, surely they figure out more difficult things in their consarn social media.


My mind races ahead of my typing.  I have this construct in my mind, if A and B, then C, and I race through typing A and B, but sometimes I don't remember what C is, and I have to pause and read the whole thing through to reacquaint myself with C.  I don't know how many of those dreaded green Palmer Penmanship pages I had to go through because my handwriting was so crappy, and it was still crappy afterwards.  When I write notes to myself I print them, but even my printing is so crappy that I cannot read them. 


Yeah chemtrails, that was actually what she wrote on the piece of paper, but it was about contrails right?  And yeah, you would think if she had even high school science she could see it for the crap it is.  But then I have a friend who is a high school science teacher and he believes in them.  Actually he never wanted to be a science teacher, he got pushed into that slot because English teachers are a dime a dozen, and I don't think he ever really liked or understood science.  He taught it like here are these facts, stack them in your head, he never understood science as a way of thinking.


Which is, as Beagles says, to take everything with a grain of salt, which is to say, be skeptical of everything.  It doesn't mean that all things said have a grain of truth in them as many of them have no truth whatsoever.  And the secret here it so be skeptical of everything, not just the stuff that you already believe in.  You have to accept that what you believe may be wrong.  Common sense tells you that the world is flat, but when facts prove it's wrong you have to accept that and not just call the round-earthers liars.

Early in my subbing days I discovered to my joy that the scientific method was widely taught in grade school science, but I soon learned that it was taught like everything else, Just four steps to memorize, and nothing much to be discussed here.


Double spacing is just something that Old Dog and myself got into our heads at an early age.  I'm trying to remember when.  I never took typing in school, but I remember typing term papers because I remember there were all those complicated rules for footnotes.  Actually the footnotes and their arcane and rigid rules took precedence over any content the papers might have.  I didn't question it at the time, but now I have to cry out Why?  Why?  Why?  I guess it was the equivalent of some of the crappy things you have to do in boot camp, that have nothing to do with combat, but they just make you do it because they can.  That's just my assumption of course, but I am sure the dawgs will become quite loquacious when discussing boot camp.

There was no boot camp for being a CO, but at some point during my sojourn in bucolic southern Illinois, I bought a portable typewriter and took a book out of the library and taught myself to touch-type and that's when I picked up the double space habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment