Search This Blog

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Just Do It

Most of us did not learn to talk by learning the rules, we picked it up from hearing other people talk, and it just came to us naturally.  Then we went to school and the teachers kept telling us we were doing it wrong.  After awhile, we learned how to talk in such a way that the teacher wouldn't correct us.  Then, a few years later, they tried to teach us the rules of grammar.  I already knew how to talk by then, and I found the rules to be tedious and unnecessary.  I also knew how to sing by the time anybody tried to teach me the rules of music theory, and I found that to be tedious as well.

There are basically two ways to shoot a gun, aiming and pointing, which is sometimes called "instinct shooting".  Some people seem to be natural born instinct shooters, and some, myself included, are better aimers than pointers. My father was a pointer, and he was never able to teach me how to shoot because he couldn't put it into words, he just did it.  It was in high school ROTC and, later, in the real army, that I finally learned how to shoot with reasonable accuracy.  Pointing is the generally preferred technique for shooting a shotgun at a moving target, but I never mastered it, I aim a shotgun the same way I aim a rifle.  Pointers generally do better on close range shots at moving targets, and aimers generally do better at longer range targets that are moving predictably or, better yet, not at all.  To be a really good marksman, you should become proficient in both techniques.  But who's got time for that?

I don't know about the "marketplace of ideas theory", I'll have to think about it.  I'm pretty sure, though, that censorship is not the answer, that's been tried.  It might work for awhile but, eventually, it pisses off enough people that you have a revolution on your hands.






No comments:

Post a Comment