Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

the geometry of hats

If the dems take over the house I think they will have to pass a bill banning automatic weapons, and maybe it will get by the senate, but I am sure Trump will veto it.  We're not going to do anything on mental health because that will cost money, and anyway people have been nuts since I reckon shortly after the dinosaurs died and we are not going to change that it in a few years.  And you know it's not even nuts, it's a thing.  The last two shootings the guys were school shooting fans.

Speaking of current events, how about  that new supreme court judge that the Trumpians are so Trumped up about, deciding that if your employer does something to you and you want to sue, you can't join with other employees but have to sue him individually with whatever lawyer you can afford against the boss's mighty well-paid team?


Old Dog is right about me adding the Mackinac (is it Mackinac or Mackinaw, or both?) later to my original post. I think he is wrong about  pranksters, but possibly it is an artifact of the practice of stitching together images, but the placing seems a bit too, I don't know, regular, for that, and I don't recall seeing squares like that in google maps before.  Of course they are not really squares, they are as Ms Hradek taught me and Beagles, rectangles, and all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares.  Still I have seen rectangles called squares before and I think it's permissible, because rectangle is such a formal, and dare I say, square term.  Outside of entomology I think it's okay to call them all bugs, and outside Euclid I think it's okay to call most rectangles squares. 

As Ms Hradek also taught us, you multiply the diameter by pi to get the circumference, so what Old Dog is speaking of for hat size is the diameter, which I am sure he knew, but chose, for some reason to describe circumspectly.  But then heads are really ovoid so the formula would be a little different.  I am okay with calling some rectangles (not the really long ones) squares, but I am not equally libertine with calling ovals circles.  Seems to me that the essence of a rectangle (shared by the square) is that it has four right (square) angles, but the essence of an oval is that the curve is at varying distances from the center, while the essence of the circle is that all points on the curve are equidistant from the center.  There, I don't think Euclid could have said it any better.

Not to pick on Old Dog, well to pick on him a little, does his head vary in size from day to day so that he needs a tape measure to measure it every time he buys a new chapeau?  And anyway there is a variance in the kinds of ovals heads may take on, so just knowing that one number is not going to give you all the information you need, and surely some heads are pointier than others.  Seems to me the only way to really tell is to show up in person and jam the thing on your head and take a quick look in the mirror, and maybe give yourself a wink, you handsome devil you.

No comments:

Post a Comment