Search This Blog

Monday, May 28, 2018

Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day but it's only the 28th of May and not May 30th, the original day of observation.  I liked it better the old way, when the week would be broken up by a day off but that's a minority opinion, I think.  There's something about adjusting holidays to ensure a three day weekend that strikes me as wrong; it demeans the significance of the holiday.  It's only a matter of time when Independence Day will be moved to the first Friday in July.  Or if they're going to fiddle with the holidays, they should at least move them to a Thursday, like Thanksgiving, and give folks a four day weekend.

-----

The discussion of arbitration reminded me that it's much closer to home than I thought.  You will find statements regarding arbitration buried within the many terms of service that you agree to with certain websites and software.  I usually read all those agreements but not as closely as I should, but I agree to them anyway.  I can't imagine any scenario where I would be involved in a legal dispute, which may be a foolish attitude on my part.

-----

We may never see armed teachers in the classroom after all.  It's a can of worms regarding liability, and the insurance industry is in a tizzy, not really sure how to deal with the issue.  Like many things, eventually it's all going to be about the money.

-----

And if things haven't seemed weird enough lately, there is an (alleged) leaked Pentagon report about a UFO stalking one of our aircraft carriers.  But this happened almost fifteen years ago so it must not have meant much to anybody in charge.  What a world, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment