Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Go Ogle

Jules Verne was quite the clever Frenchie.  Nemo sounded like a Latin word to me, so I plugged it into Google Translate and, in English, it translates to "nobody."  Clever, huh?  Maybe it's time for me to read 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea again knowing that little bit of information.  I read that book when I was a kid but didn't see the Disney movie until I was much older.  In those days, if you missed a movie during it's first run, forget it, especially with Disney movies, unlike today when you can see anything anytime.  But that submarine, the Nautilus.  Wow! I thought every submarine should look like that, scary but luxuriously appointed on the inside with plenty of polished brass and mahogany furniture, nothing like the grim reality depicted in Das Boot.

-----

A check of older posts on the site revealed the Mackinac Bridge picture, which surprised me.  I cut & paste the posts by you guys and it wasn't there when I grabbed that post.  The last paragraph and the image weren't in my capture, which makes me think Uncle Ken added it after his initial post.  I do that sometimes, thinking of something to add and then do a quick edit, hopefully before anyone notices.

Anyhow, I think those green squares aren't anything real but artefacts from the image stitching algorithms used to make the final image.  If Google wanted to hide something they would have used Photoshop and done a better job it.  That's something to think about; we take it for granted that everything we see on Google Earth is accurate but maybe there is a group of pranksters that add and delete stuff in the images, just to drive folks crazy trying to figure it out.  I wouldn't put it past them but I probably would do it too, just to see if anyone notices.

-----

Another one of life's mysteries has been solved for me: men's hat sizes.  I could never figure out where those numbers came from but now I know and it's shockingly simple.  Take a measuring tape and measure, in inches, how big around your head is.  Then divide by pi and you'll have your hat size.  Now you can order your fancy chapeau on Amazon without any worries but I think it's different in Europe; they use centimeters and leave it at that, with no division by pi.  Luckily I have a tape measure that uses both scales.

-----

And I don't get that style of singing that I think is big on American idol...

I'm with you on this one, Uncle Ken.  I used to think I was a dinosaur regarding my musical sensibilities but now I realize I'm actually a fossil.



No comments:

Post a Comment