Search This Blog

Saturday, May 12, 2018

When it Rains, it Pours - Part 2

On Wednesday the guy came and fixed our furnace and the leak that had damaged it, or so we thought.  It rained hard again Wednesday night, but not for as long as it did the last time, and the roof started leaking over the furnace again.  We were able to divert the water with some old towels and keep it from getting into the furnace controls, so the furnace was not damaged this time.  The guy came back on Thursday to fix the roof some more.  He thinks it's really fixed this time, but we won't know for sure until the next hard rain.  Right in the middle of this, a different guy delivered my new tractor and took the old one away.  I met him on the county road so he wouldn't block the driveway for the plumbing, heating, and roofing guy, which was just as well because he would have had a hard time turning his big trailer around in our driveway anyway.  It was a hectic day for us, but those two jobs are done now. I had some errands to run on Friday, I made bread today, and we are going to my grand daughter's for Mother's Day tomorrow, so I haven't had time to play with my new tractor yet. Maybe Monday.

I agree with Uncle Ken that consumers do not always act logically, and the advertisers try to take advantage of that.  I suppose we could respond by boycotting the products that publish stupid ads, but that itself would be illogical.  It might be a fine product that we want or need, so why should we deprive ourselves of it just to prove a point? The point would be lost anyway because we, the logical people, seem to be a small minority in the marketplace.  The same thing might be said about the marketplace of ideas.  People are going to believe what they want to believe, and we seem to be just spinning our wheels when we try to convince them otherwise.  It's like that old saying, "My mind is already made up, don't confuse me with facts."

What's up with that Kim character in North Korea?  Not long ago he was threatening to nuke us, and now he wants to play nice.  Could it be that he is intimidated by Trump because he finally met somebody who is as unstable as he is?

No comments:

Post a Comment