Search This Blog

Friday, September 9, 2016

In the center ring

"When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat."   -George Carlin

That pearl of wisdom sums up my feelings lately as Circus 2016 concludes.  Until the actual debates happen I don't think there will be any new insights about the two major players unless certain law enforcement agencies decide that there's enough evidence for prosecution.  Either one, take your pick.

I feel bad for the Ben&Jerry duo; I didn't know anything about Aleppo either. It's very difficult to keep track of everything and it's frightening that there is a sense of "permanent war" developing.  The foreign policy of the US is completely out of line.  We are dropping bombs on six different countries (ref: Washington Post), and for what, really?  Is the situation in Syria a proxy war between Russia and the US?  Who dealt this mess?  We call it a "war on terror" but terrorism is a tactic, a last ditch method by very desperate (and probably crazy) people.  I cannot fathom the commitment required to be a suicide bomber.  I misplaced my scorecard so I don't know if it's about religion, ethnicity, or what.  More study is required...

-----

Voting a straight ticket is easier, but not better.  I think each candidate must be considered, regardless of the party, and if you don't know enough about the players you can leave it blank.  That's what I do. 

This year's voter turnout will be interesting; I think it will be very high or very low.  There may be enough voters who are fed up with both big clowns and will decide to stay home, but lack the will to vote for a third party guy (or gal).  Who knows?  My speculation is just as worthless as the next guy's.

-----

Regardless of the outcome in November I see a silver lining in the dark clouds.  The voters are pissed off so maybe some critical issues will be addressed, at least I hope so.  Off the top of my head I'm thinking about the influence of lobbyists, big money from PACs, the gerrymandering of legislative districts, term limits, the perpetuation of the two-party system, and possibly the role of media.  We should be doing a better job if we want a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

-----

No worries about anyone taking your guns, Mr. Beagles.  It's a complicated system, but unless you blab about your arsenal, nobody knows what you have.  Firearms can be traced, but that is after the fact of a crime and only if the weapon is recovered.  The records are on paper because of a law, thanks to the NRA, that prohibits computerized database searches.

A full story is here, and worth a read:
 http://www.gq.com/story/inside-federal-bureau-of-way-too-many-guns

Myself, I prefer non-firearms although a guilty pleasure is the Taofledermaus channel on YouTube, where they fire all kinds of weird crap from shotguns.  My inner ten year-old like to see stuff blow up, real good.

For non-firearms I don't think you can beat the Slingshot Channel of Joerg Sprave on YouTube.  This mad German uses rubber bands (not rubberbands) and compressed air to make some amazing and innovative weapons.  He says it's to oppose the Zombie Invasion, but I'm not so sure; some very dangerous stuff but fun to watch.  He would be a perfect Bond villain..."Let me show you it's features!"  And that laugh...

No comments:

Post a Comment