Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2016

Dig this

Do you suppose the analytical engines at Google and Wikipedia are registering an uptick in queries regarding Crete and the Minoan civilization?  I've been hitting it pretty hard, reading all kinds of interesting stuff, the types of things that were glossed over during my formal education phase.

In terms of ancient history, the Minoans are the new kids on the block despite being Europe's oldest civilization.  Prior to the discovery of archaeological artifacts in the early 20th century, the Minoans were considered mythical.  King Minos was probably a real guy; I don't know about the labyrinth that Daedalus designed.  Still a lot of digging to do and much to be discovered.

It's doubtful that the Minoans were founded by the Egyptians.  Some University eggheads have been conducting DNA studies and indications point to Turkey.  I think the Beaglesonian Institute of Minoan Studies should apply for a grant to study this further.  Winter is coming and the coldest it gets in Crete is the low 50s in January.  Fine weather to be working outdoors, digging for relics.  Too much rain in December.

-----

Here's an aspect of conversation that hasn't been covered yet: total strangers engaging you in conversation.  I must have some kind of aura that tells people, "Sure, you can talk to me!"  I can be daydreaming at the bus stop and invariably someone, usually my age but sometimes a lot younger, will start talking to me.  Maybe they're only asking directions but then the topic shifts and we end up chatting away, awaiting the bus.  It happens a lot.

Today, for instance, I was at the Social Security office waiting for an appointment and this old (my age) black guy a few seats over says, "You want to hear something funny?"  Sure, I say, I need to hear something funny.  He then proceeds to tell me how his bank refused a loan because his credit rating was too high.  Huh?  He's got an account there, pays everything on time, never misses any payments, and they refuse a lousy $3000 loan.  WTF?  I told him that wasn't funny at all, and then we yammered back and forth about banks, risky loans, sub-prime mortgages, and what a bunch of crooks the bankers are.  I said he should go back and apply again, and if they refuse he should close all his accounts and take his business to the bank across the street.  Or go to Fast Eddie at the pool hall and see about a short term loan.

Maybe he doesn't have enough credit cards or isn't in hock enough and it isn't worth the bank's time to bother with people who pay on time and don't incur penalty fees.  I don't know how that system works, or if it works at all.  It's not working for that guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment