Search This Blog

Friday, September 16, 2016

Election-free Friday

One new little bit I've learned about Crete is that it is the site of the oldest known European civilization.  I wonder how that worked out.  Did shipwreck survivors decide that it was in their best interest to develop a system of getting along, and it grew from there?  Maybe I should look it up.

I also associated Crete IL with Native Americans because I usually heard the name in reference to Crete-Monee, which sounds Indian to me.  Turns out that Monee is a corruption of the name Mary, which was the name of a trader's wife, and the local tribe didn't pronounce the letter 'R' in their spoken language.  More fun with Wikipedia...

There's a Crete, Nebraska too.

-----

Conversation is a sub-set of verbal communication, and there are different types of conversation.  So, it seems to me that Uncle Ken is focused on the nature of informal social conversation.  Am I getting close?

Evolution has favored the listeners...they're the guys sitting quietly, taking it all in, and making better decisions than the folks that are running their mouths all the time.

I have mixed feelings about the blowhards.  Sometimes they are entertaining (for a while) but all too often they are annoying in that they seldom bring anything new to the table that would enhance further conversation.  Or their opinions are set in stone and they refuse to consider alternate points of view.  They could simply be lonely or insecure and their options for healthy social interaction are limited.  Don't know, can't judge, and where are the envelopes for the pool scores?  How 'bout them Cubs?

No comments:

Post a Comment