Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Clarification of Watermelon Joke

I was not trying to offend Black people with my watermelon joke, I was trying to offend the people who are saying that Blacks are too dumb or lazy to completely fill out a ballot that doesn't allow straight party voting. If I was Black, I would be offended by that assertion myself because it's condescending. If you remember, I prefaced my watermelon proposal with "As long as we're stereotyping.....". I introduced the topic by saying that the law eliminating straight party voting was unpopular, and unnecessary and that it will inconvenience everybody, not just Blacks. In my opinion, it will also be ineffective. People who want to vote a straight ticket will still be able to do so, it will just take them longer and cause the voters behind them to wait longer in line. Are hard core Democrats, or Republicans for that matter, going to split their ticket and vote for somebody on the other side just because they can no longer vote straight party with a single stroke? Not bloody likely!

Old Dog, "the good citizens of Michigan" didn't have anything to say about this law. To my knowledge, no candidate ran in the last election promising to pass this law if elected. I suppose a candidate in the forthcoming election could run on the promise of working to repeal the law if elected, but I haven't heard of any of them doing that.  In Michigan, an unpopular law is sometimes overturned by a ballot referendum, but any law that contains an appropriation is immune from this tactic. The bill's authors, therefore, made sure that an appropriation to buy more voting equipment was included in this one. There was little publicity about this bill until it was already passed into law. My own daughter, who is quite politically conscious, had not heard of it until I told her about it yesterday. By the way, she thought that my watermelon joke was spot on, and she's a liberal.

All the watermelons we have eaten in the last decade or so have been "seedless", and I don't know if they even sell the old fashioned kind anymore. Of course, they're not really seedless, but the few seeds they contain are so small that it's easier to swallow them than to spit them out. I think the new watermelons taste at least as good as the old ones, and I don't miss spitting out seeds at all. As for bananas, I don't remember the old ones as being any different than the new ones. I didn't even know there were different kinds of bananas until now, which proves that you're never too old to learn something.

No comments:

Post a Comment