Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Mass Migrations

"I don't think he knew what he was talking about, and maybe he still doesn't.  

I don't see a lot of daylight between the former statement and the following:

 you have a stable genius, pardon me very stable genius running the country who loves raising the roof over this, and a senate majority that slobbers over each other to kiss his feet." 

I suppose I'm biased, but I think that a disinterested third party might say that the first statement expresses reasonable doubt, while the second one expresses bitter, sarcastic exaggeration. 

I have provided numerous links to my references on this issue, but Uncle Ken either refuses to read them or dismisses them as Trumpist propaganda.  While Trump may have a certain amount of control over the US Senate, I don't think he has taken over the major news media outlets, at least not yet.  Okay, there's FOX, but they were like that before Trump came along.

History is full of mass migrations that forever changed the nature of the populations into which they migrated.  The Huns, the Mongols, the Goths, and the Vikings immediately come to mind, but those were warrior cultures.  The current mass migrants are refugees, not warriors, so it's not exactly the same thing.  The first example that comes to my mind is the refugees from the Dust Bowl back in the 1930s.  Then there's the Irish Potato Famine refugees that flooded into the US during the 19th Century.  Our own ancestors were refugees from the poverty and war of Europe, mostly during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.  The whole US westward expansion from sea to shinning sea also qualifies as one of the largest mass migrations in history.  Then there's the movement of Blacks and Appalachians from the rural South to the urban North during our own lifetimes, although I understand that tide is currently ebbing back to its place of origin.  I don't know what rate of migration it takes to qualify as a mass migration, but I would be surprised if a hundred thousand a month wasn't in the ball park.

Every time one culture rapidly moves in on another culture, there is a certain amount of conflict, sometimes it's physically violent, and other times it involves discrimination and exclusion.  All of us who grew up in Chicago should be familiar with that, but I understand that a certain amount of memory loss is normal at our age.  I think we all know what assimilation means as well, it's when the conflict dies down to the point that we start marrying each others sisters.  The Blacks and Whites still have a way to go with that one but, if the commercials I've been seeing on TV lately are any indication, the tide is beginning to turn.








No comments:

Post a Comment