Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 19, 2019

a new subject

I've read the sort of articles that Beagles has been citing and I have agreed that there is a problem at the border, but I think it is just a problem among many others and not so dire as oh, the national debt or global warming.  And anyway Beagles is only using the issue to talk about what he is really concerned about, that there are too many Hispanics coming into the country.  I don't see where that is a problem, what dire results are we seeing?  It wasn't that long ago that many good Americans thought that there were too damn many eastern Europeans coming into this country, and if they had made their quotas law some years earlier Beagles would not be ruling his little piece of swamp from which he can decamp at any time for Moravian meadows so that real Americans can enjoy the purple mountain majesties without having to worry about Pilsner beer replacing their Budweiser.

I was looking for something Beagles said maybe a week ago about how soon we wouldn't have to worry about global warning, because, well it wasn't clear to me what, but I think it was because we would soon be at war with North Korea, or Iran, or maybe both.  Certainly drummer boy Bolton is beating the drums of war while Trump dithers and his gang of idiots are well, idiots, and even if they weren't they would act like idiots to please their boss as they lead our ship of state through perilous straits.

I couldn't find that exact statement, but looking for it I came across a subject I wanted to broach before we entered the immigration morass and that is social media.  I'm not sure exactly what I want to say, so let me just ramble, as I so often do, before I hit on it.

I've been doing improv for about five years.  We have a leader, but there is a lot of input from the group also.  The problem is that this takes up an awful lot of time.  You know how it is when one person says something pertinent but that is followed by someone who says something less pertinent and the conversation wanders into the swamp, and some people are blowhards, and some people are nice enough folks but when they talk they go on and on forever.  And meanwhile the boards that we all came to trod remain untrodden.

So I created this facebook page for us.  My reasoning was that this would be a place where we could present our ideas at length without worrying about being interrupted, and people could respond to it.  It is my opinion that when one is writing something one has to consider the idea more than when one is just talking and word follows word without you having to think much about it, but you are likely to rattle on and get way off the point.  If our discussions took place on fb then we could read them at our leisure and we wouldn't have to spend so much time waiting for somebody to finish talking and could spend more time trodding the boards, which is why we come there in the first place.

Now I am the first to admit that in the eyes of finger popping youth I am hopelessly backward, but it is a senior citizens improv group and among them I am a tech maven.  Some of them don't even have email and some of those who do never read theirs and less than half of them are on fb.  The fb page has never taken off as a forum, but I wonder if it had, would this lead to the fbers become a more dominant force than the non fbers.  Does the more technically adept population have a power edge over the less adept?  This is what I want to discuss.  But that will be tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment