Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

A Grain of Salt

The American Immigration Council sounds like a pro-immigration advocacy group to me, so I take everything they say with a grain of salt.  Nevertheless, I will accept their numbers for the purposes of this discussion.  Truth be known, anti-immigration groups and our own government are just as capable of lying, so we should take everything they say with a gain of salt as well.  Here's one number of theirs that jumped out at me: "From 2012 to 2017, over 1.25 million new cases were filed in immigration court,"  If the present rate continues, there will be at least as many new cases filed this year as there were from from 2012 to 2017.  I have said all along that I have nothing against Hipanics except that there are way too many of them pouring into the country.  I would be just as concerned if any other ethnic group were doing that.
"What stuff does Beagles think I don't know that is in his links?  Everything he says I have already
heard."  If Uncle Ken knows what is in my links, then he must just not believe it.  People generally tend to believe what they want to believe, and trying to convince them otherwise is often an exercise in frustration.  I used to be the same way myself, but I like to think that the wisdom of old age has opened my mind a bit.  Please pass the grain of salt, but hold the salsa.

I don't know why everything in this post is double spaced, I didn't do it on purpose.  With any kind of luck it will go away by itself.....Wait, I think it just did.  Go figure!

Speaking of numbers, I heard on the TV news yesterday that, in the year 2017, more people in Michigan were killed by drug overdoses than by guns and automobiles combined.  They didn't provide the actual numbers, that's just what they said.  It was part of a piece that announced a grant or something that is dedicated to treating drug addiction.  I knew that more people are killed by cars than by guns, but I find it hard to believe that drugs kill more people than both of them combined.  Somebody should do a study about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment