Search This Blog

Friday, June 7, 2019

Ken and the Kondo Board Part Six

I like Beagles's describing the issue I have been speaking of as rules vs people as on paper vs the real world.  Beagles didn't say so in so many words so I wonder if I can summarize the ending to Beagles posted those old rules he had had a part in making and, after some struggle, yada yada, those old rules became enforced.

Of course I will keep after this issue.  There is the survey to be formulated and then there is the board meeting where that information will be used to formulate a new rule.  Actually what I want to do is just drop the recent rule and go back to the way things were before it was made part of the code.  My point being things were hunky dory then, why not, in the spirit of Occam's Razor, remove this recent rule and go back to the paradise in which we dwelt before?  But there was some movement in that committee meeting to make a more comprehensive rule to take into account flashing lights, strobe lights, maybe people could have lights different from white, but they all have to be the same color, when do you have to turn them off at night, can you only have them up during the Christmas season?  I fear that in the general confusion of this I will lose my case.

Even now I fear that things may be moving within the board without my knowledge.  I was going to email Laura (who I think may be on my side but this is just speculation) to ask what is going, but my calendar indicates it is too soon after the meeting.  I don't want to piss her off by pushing too hard.

A little more background.  When the whites only rule was being promulgated the board did send out a notice so people could object if they didn't like it, and almost nobody objected.  I didn't.  I didn't even notice the notice.  The board often sends out pages of boring goobledegook so nobody pays any attention.  When I did my petition I asked people if they remembered getting that notice and nobody did,  I tracked the notice in our poorly-maintained website, and the white-only sentences were there, but they were buried between pages of boring gobbledegook.  The thing is clearly the board knows that nobody reads this stuff, so that notice was hardly sent out in good faith.

And surveys, people don't pay that much attention to them.  It was mentioned at that committee meeting, by way of arguing against doing a survey, that only ten percent of the residents reply to these surveys so what does that mean?  Now that I think of it no evidence of that was presented, but as I said I was unprepared for the thrust of the meeting because I thought the survey was settled law.


I meant to conclude this whole colored lights thing with this posting but now I see that I have still more things to say.  It does help me set things clear for myself and prepares me for the next battle,  Did Beagles find that rewriting his battle with bureaucracy helped make things clearer in his mind?

Will be baking some corn muffins this morning.  No honey, just the basic recipe but with more cheese, more jalapenos and more black olives.  My operant theory is that you don't know when you have enough until you have too many. 

No comments:

Post a Comment