Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Improv and Other Types of Wild Life

Thanks to Uncle Ken for explaining those improv videos.  I understand it better now, but it still doesn't sound like anything I would want to do.  Of course, that could be said about a lot of activities.

The great outdoors is great, as long as it stays outdoors but, when the outdoors comes indoors, it can be problematic.  Funny how wild animals will move in on you if you let them.  I don't think that the birds who get stuck in a building or vehicle come in on purpose, but mammals and snakes certainly do.  They usually don't try to share human occupied living quarters, but they will claim any kind of crawl space or crack in the wall as their homestead.  That's one reason we don't feed wildlife near the house.  Another reason is that food put out for birds or other pretty creatures often end up attracting some other creatures that are not so pretty.  Then there's the concern that birds will become dependent on human assistance, and/or congregate in unnaturally large numbers, which is not good for them.

Videos of wildlife rescues are quite popular on TV and social media, but I don't think I've ever seen a video of an unsuccessful rescue attempt. Those things must happen, but I suppose nobody wants to share an experience like that, or watch it either for that matter.  Deer in particular must be difficult to rescue successfully.  They don't tolerate a lot of handling or other stress well.  I have seen videos where a deer settles down and goes limp after thrashing around for awhile, making life easier for their rescuers.  While the rescue appears to be successful, they don't show you what kind of shape the deer is in a few hours later.  I suspect that many of them crawl off and die somewhere off camera.  That said, I would probably try to help a deer that was in trouble.  It's just human nature to aid the weak and helpless.  I might get a kick in the nuts for my trouble but, as the old saying goes, "No good deed goes unpunished."

No comments:

Post a Comment