Search This Blog

Sunday, June 9, 2019

Half baked

My operant theory is that you don't know when you have enough until you have too many.

Ha!  That reminds me of another aphorism from a bygone era: "Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess."  Or words to that effect.  Anyhow, your quest for savory perfection in the world of cornbread sounds like you are on the right track, my only concern is that the flavor of the corn could be overwhelmed by the jalapenos and olives.

From what I've read, the Jiffy line of mixes is the gold standard for cornbread and I took a peek at their ingredients.  No big surprises except that wheat flour is the main ingredient, followed by cornmeal and sugar.  Since cornmeal has no gluten I think regular flour is necessary to keep things from crumbling apart.  I use bread flour and it seems to work pretty well but I may increase the quantity in the future.

It's funny that you were making your muffins Friday morning.  I had my pan of cornbread in the oven when I read your post, and that was after I made some tortillas for breakfast and finished making another batch of refried beans.  Quite a busy morning but I was done with everything and the cleanup by noon.

There is another locally made tortilla chip that may be of interest, a little more flavorful but not as robust as El Ranchero and made in Carol Stream.  The ingredients are cornmeal, corn oil, salt, and lime, and the brand is Donkey.  I like the chips for guacamole but they are too puny for my heavy duty refried beans.

-----

Since I've stopped being an obsessive news junky I'm starting to rely on Mr. Beagles for info about the immigration stuff.  I don't agree with his point of view but that's okay; we can agree to disagree, can't we?  My opinion is that since Spain had such a large role in the settlement of the New World I'm willing to cut them some slack and let the Spanish speaking people live where they want as long as they play by the rules and carry their own weight.

-----

The saga of the Condo Board is fascinating and I have a lot of questions which I'll get to one of these days, but not today.



No comments:

Post a Comment