Search This Blog

Saturday, July 1, 2017

Tiptoe through the YouTube

There was an Aldi food store about a half mile up the road from me, but I never shopped there; something about the generic nature of their products rubbed me the wrong way.  It was torn down last summer, a few adjacent parcels of property were bought, and a new, bigger store was built with a larger parking lot.  This morning I decided to check it out and was pleasantly surprised; a fine example of Teutonic efficiency.  Wide aisles, good selection, great prices, no agonizing over multiple choices of the same product, and you bag your own groceries, dammit.

Check out lines move very quickly because of a trick they use.  You know those bar codes that are on every package?  Their packaging has multiple bar codes so it doesn't matter how the checkout guy runs the package over the scanner; it always reads correctly and there's no fiddling around looking for that damn code.  Slick.

As a control to compare quality (and in a moment of weakness) I bought some of their "premium" chocolate ice cream.  It easily passed the taste/texture test, very similar to my own albeit with a less intense chocolate flavor, but I tend to overdo it.  Anyhow, I was gobsmacked when I read the ingredients: cream, skim milk, sugar, egg yolks, and cocoa.  That's it.  No preservatives, no emulsifiers, no stabilizers, no nothing.  It wouldn't have killed them to add a touch of vanilla, maybe a pinch of salt, though, but I was nevertheless impressed.

-----

I actually didn't know the title, so one of them might have been it, but I doubt it.


O ye of little faith!  I searched for that video, but I added "sullivan" to the search window, and bingo!, there it was, but the song is titled "The Other Side."  The Ed Sullivan clip had an annoying text overlay but the sound was good.  I also found the original and undistorted version with the little girls.  I must admit, that chorus of The ice caps are melting, ho ho, ho ho, ho ho is quite catchy and would make a swell ringtone for a cell phone.

These links are provided for your convenience, Mr. Beagles:
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efJxBYQWxc0
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DEoOdcYKbc

No comments:

Post a Comment