Search This Blog

Friday, July 14, 2017

Insecurity

Uncle Ken is correct on how files are deleted on your computer but I'm not sure how it works with email.  I thought all email resides on the servers of the service provider and I don't know how long they keep it, even if you do delete it.  Maybe the NSA knows.

You can delete incoming emails all day if you want, but if the sender keeps a copy, well, there's still a copy available.  And if the sender sends a blind carbon copy to someone else you'll never know how many copies of any incriminating emails are hiding in the ether.  Who do you trust?  Just because an email shows up your inbox does not mean it's from a real human being; can't emails be faked?

I don't give emails much thought, but if I was involved in high level security issues I wouldn't use email or a cell phone . It's like sending a postcard instead of registered mail; one is more secure than the other.

As long as folks are carrying cameras, recording devices, and GPS locators in their pockets and purses it is no surprise that secrets can't be kept from eavesdroppers or prying eyes.

-----

When I read that China is building it's first military base on foreign soil in Djibouti, I thought, "Uh, oh!"  Djibouti is in a very strategic location, across from the Arabian peninsula.  But then I read that Japan, France, and the US already have military bases there, too.  Must be getting crowded, but would be a good location for a few bars and restaurants to keep the off duty personnel from getting bored.

-----

Finished watching the complete good version of Moby Dick; what a fine movie.  I could tell that some of the effects used miniatures but it wasn't distracting in the least.  Very few films today are able to tell such a compelling story, so well.

When I read Moby Dick in high school I didn't like it very much.  But about fifteen years later I read it again and was surprised how much I liked it.  I've read it a couple of times since then, about every ten years or so.  A well told tale is worth rereading.

-----

The most recent reference to Uncle Ken's out of state pal was last December, but she was named Ruby Doo.  Did her name change to Ruby Dew?  You need a passport to get into Canada now, unlike the old days, but I'm sure Uncle Ken is prepared.  In addition to poutine he should check out the real Canadian classic, Tim Horton's.

No comments:

Post a Comment