Search This Blog

Monday, July 3, 2017

Seems like yesterday

It was one year ago to the day that this humble scribe made his first posting to this hallowed chronicle.  My, how time flies.

It seems to be more difficult these days to engage in a hearty three-way discussion; a lot of the chatter is two-sided, with one of us sitting it out.  In my case it is not lack of interest but an unwillingness to be drawn into protracted discussions which I feel are either pointless or unanswerable.  I usually don't care what "they" say...

-----

I found another Tiny Tim video clip from the Ed Sullivan show, a longer one featuring 3 or 4 songs, and was about seven minutes long.  He liked very old songs from the early 20th century and he displayed some actual talent.  There was one song, the old familiar "school days, school days, good old golden rule days..." that had an interesting first verse that I wasn't familiar with, and he sang it in the voice of an old man.  Another song was written for two voices, one male and one female, and he sang both.  The crowd went wild.  And I don't think I've seen anything quite like Tiny Tim's version of the Jerry Lee Lewis classic "Great Balls of Fire."  You won't find that kind of entertainment on broadcast TV these days, that's for sure.

I enjoy watching those old Ed Sullivan clip on YouTube; they're a curious time capsule of our past culture but Sullivan himself strikes me as a really strange dude.  I wonder if it's time for variety shows to make a comeback, having a little something for everybody.  Can modern attention spans tolerate such a thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment