Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

loons and eels

There is a whole thing about the history of Niagara Falls and Buffalo that we didn't get around to exploring.  In the war of 1812 the city of Niagara Falls and Buffalo exchanged hands with Buffalo maybe getting the worst of it.  As I recall the Americans thought that if they invaded Canada the Canadians would be inspired and also throw off the British yoke.

I think there was another kerfuffle, though not an armed one when both Canada and the USA realized how much power they could generate.  Somehow the Canadians ended up with the bigger falls, but I guess the American ones were sufficient enough to light up the whole town of Buffalo, the first city to be electrified.

There was indeed talk of generators, but now that I give it some thought, where are they?  If they are upriver then there isn't going to be any more power than in any other river, and downriver the same.  I was puzzled by Old Dog speaking of them being in the falls, but I guess they would have to be somewhere like that to capture the power of gravity, but how could they do that without marring the beauty of the falls, and come to think of it, how could they do that period?  Oh wait Old Dog says that they moved the rivers.  Maybe that's how they did it, building the generators somewhere and then diverting the falls to that precipice.

And what about the fish?  They are just cruising around and then my isn't that current something and then they are going over the falls without even a barrel. There were gulls and loons downstream, seemingly having a joyous feast.  Do the falls stun the fish so that they are stunned and easy picking?  I'm not sure they are loons, but when I was in Aurora last week along the raging Fox River I saw this dark colored bird which instead of flying above and filching fish, seemed to be more like swimming and diving down for fish.  My friend told me they were loons and they look like the birds I saw at Niagara falls.

You'll note also how flagrantly The Eel flatters Trump.  The Donald cannot get enough high praise, probably why he pitches in and does so much of it  himself.  I tuned in last night to watch him deliver some speech to the boy scouts, the fucking boy scouts, and instead of talking about being TrustworthyLoyalHelpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent, stuff that the Donald knows little about, he was raving about crooked Hilary and how disloyal Sessions is..

I used to enjoy these speeches, making fun in my smug liberal way, what a fool he is making of himself, surely he will be seen through shortly, except for that 35 percent who are well, beyond the pale.  They are irredeemable.  

They, and the Donald, and now one of our colleagues continue to claim that nothing has been accomplished by the investigation, to which I just have to shake my head.  Well certainly I expect it from Trump and the Trumpists, but I don't know how Beagles comes to that conclusion.

And I don't see what it has to do with sewers and sewer studies.

And now this morning begins with seven tweets.  I guess I won't be posting again until Friday.  Until then make some noise dawgs.

Sheesh, see what you get when you are too lazy to write out the boy scout oath and then it stains your post and everything that comes after,?

No comments:

Post a Comment