Search This Blog

Monday, July 24, 2017

Slowly I turn

Niagara Falls is mesmerizing, isn't it?  I've seen it only once, back in the 70s, but didn't take the boat tour (Maid of the Mist?).  The Falls are the kind of thing that you can stare at for hours...Jeez!  That's a LOT of water.  I wasn't expecting the sound, though, the constant roar was impressive and much louder than I thought it would be.  No wonder it is such a popular honeymoon destination, particularly suited to obscure the nuptial squeals of delight.

I should dig up any written records by the European explorers when they first encountered the Falls.  Imagine, schlepping through the woods and pausing when you first hear the majestic rumble.  I wonder what went through their heads.

As I was looking at the Falls I remembered that there are generators in there someplace.  It could not have been easy to install those suckers, what with re-routing the river and all.  The first Tesla-Westinghouse hydroelectric plant was built in 1895, which was quite an engineering feat.  Modern construction projects pale in comparison.

-----

Also, I've been watching those old episodes of "Meeting of Minds".


I'm not about to wade through all of them; are any of them particularly noteworthy, perhaps related to some of the topics we've discussed?

-----

I stumbled onto the first press conference by the new White House Communications Director last week, and it wasn't surprising.  He's smooth!  He's slippery!  Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the pride of Long Island, New York, Tony "The Eel" Scaramucci!

No comments:

Post a Comment