Search This Blog

Sunday, February 9, 2020

What's Up With Iowa?

I don't know what to say about Uncle Ken's assertion that the liberal agenda died with the election of Trump.  Maybe something will come to me after I see where he is going with this.

Meanwhile, what's up with those people in Iowa?  I read that there was a glitch in their new software system that made it impossible to accurately count the votes.  It seems that the way those Iowa caucuses work is the participants split up into groups that represent the candidate of their choice.  Then somebody counts each group, and any group that represents a candidate who failed to get at least 15% of the vote is disbanded.  The members of the dissolved group then go join their second choice group and the surviving groups are re-counted.  For this they need software?  Why don't they just write the count for each group on a piece of paper and divide it by the total number of people in attendance?  If they have problem with long division, they could figure the percentage with a simple pocket calculator.

This reminds me of the time my disposable lighter died while I was driving down the road and I stopped at a convenience store to buy another one.  (Stop me if I've told you this story before.)   The kid behind the counter said that he couldn't sell me anything right now because the computer was down, but he had already called his boss, who should be there shortly.  I suggested that he just write the amount of the sale on a piece of paper and put it in the drawer with my money.  It's not like he was too busy because I was the only customer in the store.  He told me that was impossible because he wouldn't know how much sales tax to charge me.  "Twelve cents.", I replied.  "How do you know that?", he inquired.  "Well", says I, "The lighter costs $1.99 which, for all practical purposes, is $2.00.  Six percent of $2.00 is twelve cents."  At this point, the kid produced a pocket calculator and quickly confirmed my calculation.  He stood in awe of my mathematical ability and the fact that I even knew the sales tax was 6%.  I have been told that good help is hard to find nowadays, but this happened a long time ago when unemployment was much higher than it is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment