Search This Blog

Friday, February 7, 2020

what went wrong 5

There are some similarities between white flighters and refugees, but they are not the same thing.

When /I was a sub I didn't like the way that they taught science, kind of as a dull recitation of facts, rather then we used to think this but then we discovered this and that and and now we believe something else because of such and such..

Depending on how you define it, The Liberal Agenda is a lot like secular humanism and Beagles is correct that some people accept it because somebody told them so rather than reasoning it out themselves.  Religion is a little different because even if you reason it out you are reasoning it out from what other people have said rather than for yourself.


I was glad to get out of high school and its petty authoritarianism.  I thought a lot of college would be sitting on the greensward discussing great ideas.  It wasn't.  The petty authoritarianism was gone, but other than that it was a lot like high school only harder.  Then there were friends of friends coming back to school in September and talking about marching down south.  Then Martin Luther King was marching in Marquette Park.  On a visit back to Chicago I was walking along 63rd Street and came across the headquarters of the American Nazi Party. 

All through grade and high school I was taught that America was flawless.  Every war we fought in we were on the right side.  American people were more moral than other people. Anybody who thought otherwise was an oddball and not to be listened to.   It was American Exceptionalism before anybody thought of the name,  It's a personal theory of mine that the sixties would not have been so violent if we hadn't had that America is great thing hammered so hard into our heads.  It was like hey Man, all these years you have been lying to us.

I guess I still believed in The Liberal Agenda, but I distrusted the authorities that I had previously thought were implementing it.  How can you trust a University which, through inaction. is complicit in institutional racism?  Then along came the war, and they wanted me to fight in it.  Kick out the jams, bring on the revolution!

In 1968 I wanted to vote for the Peace and Freedom party, but I didn't register because I feared that once I got into the polling place I would lose my nerve and vote for Hubert Humphrey, the hated Hump that we wanted to dump.  In 1972 I was working for George McGovern.

There was still some tumult but things were settling down.  There was no need to burn down the house.  The Liberal Agenda could still be implemented.  The Democrat party was certainly an imperfect instrument, but it was certainly the side to choose if you wanted to implement The Liberal Agenda.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment