Search This Blog

Monday, February 3, 2020

Mapping it out

I remember that map, it's the one that Trump will whip out at a moment's notice to demonstrate his overwhelming victory in 2016, isn't it?  It looks awfully red to me but it's deceptive as hell.  If the population was evenly distributed it would reflect reality but it isn't, and it doesn't.  Look at this map which shows the distribution of voters and it presents a different picture; lots of empty space, neither red nor blue.  I found the map here and there are other maps which show different aspects of the 2016 election.  Every picture tells a story.


-----

The impeachment hearings are winding down and it appears that we are nearing the final act of this piece of theater.  I'm not following the process very closely but there do not seem to be any stirring orators, just a lot of droning from both sides.  It's sad that the Republicans in all of their blind, yet indifferent, loyalty will probably prevail.  The refusal to entertain witnesses or their testimony is criminal in itself.

One thing I discovered in reading about these political processes is that the word democracy is not mentioned in either the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence.  We have a Republic if we can keep it, as stated by Mr. Franklin.  Why not a democracy?  The Founding Fathers feared what they called "the tyranny of the majority."  That's a nice turn of phrase and is good food for thought.   It's been a remarkable experiment and it would be a shame if it came to an end.

-----

It looks like the leadership of the Democratic Party is pulling the same tricks they pulled in 2016, doing everything they can to screw Bernie Sanders.  Collusion, I say!  I'm not that crazy about Bernie but if he loses he should lose fair and square with no funny business.  I don't think Biden has the steam to keep going and will fold on the campaign trail.  Bloomberg seems goofy to me in that he just wants to drive Trump crazy, maybe force him into some fatal error.  But there are still a few candidates I know nothing about and maybe they will get traction between now and November.  Do you guys know anything about these guys, Deval Patrick, John Delaney, and Michael Bennet?  The ladies are doing well and I expect one of them (but not two) to be on the ticket.

-----

I went to the post office last week and I noticed that some of the stamps are printed on plastic and not paper.  When did they start doing that?  I thought that the use of plastic was frowned upon but not anymore, I guess.


No comments:

Post a Comment