Search This Blog

Thursday, February 6, 2020

what went wrong 4

I'm working my way to the failure of The Liberal Agenda.  I'm taking the long slow route through my biography because I am retired and have plenty of time and, of course I like to talk about myself.  I'll skip ahead a bit and inform you that the failure of TLA is the election of Trump, the revolt of the simmering resentments of the rural and less educated.  Although Beagles walks like a Trumpist and talks like a Trumpist I realize that he is not himself a Trumpist.  The first paragraph in his post, the idea that my ilk has gotten everything they wanted is emblematic of the thinking of the Trumpists.

When Germany invaded France the fleeing French people were refugees.  They had lost their homes and now a foreign nation was occupying their land.  Whites selling their homes and moving to the burbs were not huddled masses.


In high school I was kind of a troublemaker, not like the guys who beat you up for your lunch money, more like the guy who disrupted class to get a laugh.  I was bored and the whole thing was stupid and in those heavily conformist times anybody who didn't fit in got knocked in, and overall I thought the school had way too much power over us kids.

But I believed in education in general.  The more you knew the better off you were, the more everybody knew, the better off everybody was.  Before the enlightenment the church knew a whole lot, but a lot of that turned out to be wrong.  My beloved science is what slew the dragons of untruths, and it wasn't just that they held a different form of Truth.  They had a method.  If you wanted to know something you didn't just take anybody's word, you examined the matter.  You looked at the facts and the logic,and if what you figured out turned out to be untrue it was because there was a flaw in your facts and logic that you could track back. 

This is the basis of The Liberal Agenda.  It's kind of my own invention, it's not the sort of thing like when your local televangelist talks about say, the gay agenda, but I think it hews closely to a real thing.  It's also driven by morality, not church morality but altruistic morality, the golden rule. 

Ok so The Liberal Agenda believes in knowledge and the extension of equal rights for everybody and a certain amount of economic equality though that can be fungible. 

Okay, now that I have gotten that out of the way I will march myself off to college.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment