Search This Blog

Thursday, February 27, 2020

Fake News

"And it is all to my credit.  If I hadn't challenged him he never would have looked it up. He would still believe that illegal aliens are voting in large numbers all across the USA." - Uncle Ken
For the last time, I never said that.  All I said was that I had heard illegal immigrants were being allowed to vote in California period, and that turned out to be true.  While looking that up, I came across the information that they were also being allowed to vote in parts of Maryland, not "all across the USA".  I also found that there was a controversy about allowing them to vote in New York City and Chicago but, last I heard, that had not been implemented.  I could have said something about dead people being allowed to vote in Chicago, but I didn't because I thought that would be a cheap shot, unworthy of the hallowed halls of the Institute.

As for Obama being a Muslim, that was an honest mistake that could have happened to anybody.  Actually, what I think I said was that he had been raised Muslim but later converted to Christianity.  Turned out, he had spent part of his childhood in a Muslim country, but his mother was a nominal Christian and his father wasn't religious so, while his Muslim neighbors might have influenced him to some degree, that's not the same as being raised Muslim.  Obama himself alluded to his Muslim background in a speech that won him a Nobel Prize, but apparently he just meant that he had known some Muslims in his life and had gotten along with them just fine.

I fail to see what Galileo's balls have to do with looking things up on the internet.  Galileo conducted an empirical experiment with his balls, which disproved a commonly held assumption.  When we quote or link to something on the internet, we are just repeating what somebody else has said.  If we search some more, we might find another source that contradicts that statement.  Then we decide which source, if any, that we want to believe.  Sure, some sources are more reliable than others, but it's still second hand information any way you look at it.

Speaking of educating people, I expected Uncle Ken to challenge my assertion that convicted felons are not allowed to vote or possess firearms, but he didn't, so I guess I don't have to document this one.

William Web was a typo, the correct name is William Weld.  I seem to remember making that same mistake before, but a certain amount of memory loss is normal at my age.  I heard that somewhere, but I don't remember where.  Do I have to look that up, teacher?

No comments:

Post a Comment