Search This Blog

Thursday, February 20, 2020

squares and kooks, fat cats vs perfessers

Beagles is right about strict constructionism the term I should have used was originalism which says that only the words in the constitution are important and the motivations of the writers be damned.  I used the declaration of independence as an example because it has the most soaring rhetoric. I was looking up the thing about people with less education tending to vote conservative, but of course there is no conservative party, so we have to go with republican, and if we consider that than they tend to get fewer of the educated votes, especially Trump, but then I have to ask myself how do they know what education the voter has.  I suppose they could use the polls, asking people what education they have as well as who they intend to vote for, or maybe they could consider the education level of the local area. 

Well I don't know, those polls where they break it down by age, sex, wealth, race, education always seemed a little off the point to me.  I guess it's good fodder over a pitcher of beer, but what difference does it make say, that women hate Trump more than men?  Only the totals count.

Trump has brought the term I've heard, as in 'I've heard that smart people think that I am the smartest person who ever strode the Earth in my fine clothes,into disrepute, and Beagles uses it to backup his idea that illegal immigrants are voting in California.  Both are incorrect.


I think I may have been onto something with the idea of the wealthy or the more educated being the elites. There is some overlap in that the wealthy tend to get a lot of schooling, and people who get a lot of schooling tend to make more money.  I remember in college we liberal arts types tended to think of business majors as squares and they tended to look at us as kooks.  When leftists rail at the elite they target the fat cats and when rightists rail at the elites they target the perfessers in their ivory towers. 

Tuned into the debate last night.  It was the best debate of the primary.  Up till now they have all been muted.  Electibility is a fog hanging over the room and nobody wanted to be too critical of anybody else,  also there have been too many of them.  This time they all had a common enemy in Bloomberg, and they all unloaded on him, which he strangely didn't seem prepared for and he just stood there with a frown looking like a villain.  Having broken the ice they then came at each other, the moderates vs the leftists, and then the moderates and leftists against each other.  Healthcare was the biggest bone they fought over and there was more light shone on the subject than previously,  Biden sort of held his own, but he needs to do better than that.  My gal Elizabeth was very active and most pundits awarded her the victory, but the true winner was Bernie who went in the front runner and exited the same way.

I kind of like Bernie, he seems honest and forthright, but his righteous indignation is turned up a little too high for me. You know how I feel about the power to stir men's souls.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment