Search This Blog

Thursday, August 22, 2019

rambling on my mind

I keep up with the news.  I don't need no wiki, I know that the border wall isn't being built, that was my whole point,.  We are not being defended from our enemies, despite constant ranting, and holding three branches of gummint for two years, and two branches lately, the wall is not being built.  And now the master plan of the three dimensional chess player, to purchase Greenland, has fallen through.

Sources differ about the percentage of them that actually show up, so believe what you will about that.  People differ about whether the earth is round or flat.  When sources differ, the seeker of truth examines the issue and decides (perhaps tentatively) on one side of the other.  Chris Columbus did not say well, a lot of guys think the world is flat (actually the Greeks knew the world is round, why else would a boat, sailing away, disappear hull first, and topmast last, but then the dark ages intervened) so I guess there is no way we will ever know, I guess it is unknowable, like how we can know the location or the speed of a particle, but we can never know both (though it would be five hundred years later before we knew that) so I guess I'll forget about that trip and open a pizzeria, I'll bet those Spaniards would go for an authentic Genoan pizza.

Funny how incurious those Spaniards were in Columbus's day.  The Norsemen had discovered there was something out in the western ocean (Greenland!  and Iceland, and I think Newfoundland.  You wonder why they didn't think, well this place is awfully cold, why don't we follow this coast further south.  Of course they were used to cold, but not that cold,  I have read that if they had followed the path of the natives and lived on fish and what the sea might bring, they might have survived and even thrived, but they insisted on living like Europeans with crops and livestock and that just didn't work).

Well I'm just rambling, rambling on my mind, speaking of rambling how does Beagles feel about those old blues guys like Robert Johnson, who were doing folk (their folk) songs, that Beagles likes?  Does he like their music, or can he detect in the rhythms of that music the roots of that devil, rock and roll? 

August 22nd this morn.  Less than two weeks before Labor Day, where has the summer gone?  There is still plenty of time before Old Man Winter comes clomping in with his phlegmy laugh, put your ear to the ground and I wager you cannot even hear his distant footfall, but if you listen closely you can hear his icy sheets rustle as he grasps the alarm clock and thinks, still too early, I can catch maybe ten, twenty winks more.  So in the meantime I will take myself out onto the veranda to read the news of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment