Search This Blog

Monday, August 26, 2019

Alligator Joe

Uncle Ken, that was a fine story you posted on Friday, but I couldn't think of how to respond to it, so I spent the weekend looking for something else to write about.  I saw on the TV news yesterday evening that another guy has declared his candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination.  I looked him up on Wiki and here's what I found:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Walsh_(American_politician)

Joe Walsh is a former congressman from Illinois, so my esteemed colleagues might have heard of him.  He is a Tea Party type, so you guys probably wouldn't like him, but he sounds like somebody who I could vote for.  He has a bit of a checkered past, he used to be in favor of abortion and gun control, but he seems to have rehabilitated himself.  He also supported Trump for president, but has since repented of that as well.  I like a man who can learn from his own mistakes.  Walsh said on TV that Trump was unfit to be president, and he has been waiting for someone else to challenge him for the nomination, but now he is stepping up to the plate himself because it doesn't look like anybody else is going to.  Apparently Walsh hasn't heard of Bill Weld, but that's understandable because I only recently heard about him myself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Weld_2020_presidential_campaign

I see that Weld is pro abortion and pro gay marriage, but no candidate is perfect, and at least he's not Trump.  I don't know his position on illegal immigration but, last I heard, the Libertarian Party was in favor of open borders.  I have said myself that open borders would be better than the dysfunctional system we now have, but my first choice would be secure borders.  Let's face it, we're never likely to get our wall now that Trump has given the word "wall" a bad name.  Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if the Unicorn Hunters banned it from the English language, if they haven't already.

Joe Walsh, however, has a better idea.  Instead of a wall, he has proposed that we dig a moat all along the Mexican border and stock it with alligators.  I am not making this up!  Okay, he might have meant it as a joke when he first proposed it some years ago, but maybe it's an idea whose time has come.  Alligators were once endangered in Florida, but they have since made an impressive comeback, to the point where they are beginning to make a nuisance of themselves.  Rounding up Florida's surplus gators and relocating them would be a non-lethal alternative to culling them out.  I understand that most of the unfenced stretches of the border are in the desert, the climate is about right, all that's needed is water, which the moat would provide.  The water source would undoubtedly attract other wildlife, which the gators could munch on while they're waiting for the illegals to show up. minimizing the cost of maintaining the project once it's fully operational.

Of course it's early yet but, if the primary was tomorrow, I would be inclined to vote for Alligator Joe. I like a guy who can think outside the box.




No comments:

Post a Comment