Search This Blog

Thursday, August 1, 2019

"I Know What it Says"

When I was a union steward at the paper mill, a guy wanted me to file a grievance for him.  I told him that I would file it, but that we were unlikely to win because there was nothing in the contract to back up his contention.  He insisted that there was, so I handed him a copy of the contract and asked him to show me where it said that.  Refusing to even touch the document, he said that he knew it was in there somewhere.  I asked him if he had ever read the contract, and he replied, "I don't have to read it, I know what it says."  Another time I had gotten into an argument with one of the guys about the fishing regulations.  I brought in a copy of the regs the next day and challenged him to read me the rule in question.  He responded the exact same way as the other guy, "I don't have to read it, I know what it says."  What do you do with guys like that?

This Mueller report is not the same thing.  I haven't read it because I'm not that interested in it, and I am not disputing anybody's claims about what the report says or doesn't say.  From what I have read, no evidence of collusion was found, but there is evidence of obstruction of justice, and that's good enough for me.  If Uncle Ken, who has read the report, says otherwise, I have no reason to doubt his word.  All I was asking was if Mueller had said anything in his testimony that was substantially different from what he had said in his original report.  I have not googled it or anything like that, but the news articles that I have come across didn't answer my question, so I asked if one of my esteemed colleagues could answer it for me, and now Uncle Ken has done that.  Thank you Uncle Ken.

The more I think about it, impeachment might be the best thing that could happen.  Trump is an albatross around the neck of the Republican Party.  If they got rid of him, they might have a better chance of winning the next election with a different candidate.  I seem to remember that Uncle Ken was happy when Trump got the nomination last time because he thought it meant Hillary was going to win for sure, and so did a lot of other people.  I, who didn't like either Trump or Hillary, voted for the Libertarian candidate as an act of protest, but I don't know if I can afford to do that this time.  If it comes down to a choice between Trump and almost any Democrat, I may feel duty bound to vote for Trump.  I would be surprised if he won, but I was surprised when won last time.  If I had believed that he had a snowball's chance in hell, I might have voted for him as the lesser of two evils.

I have heard that some scientists are saying that there is no such thing as race, but I thought it was a recent development.  I had no idea that anybody was saying that back in the day.  I seem to remember discussing this before, but I don't remember what conclusion, if any, we came to about it.  I think it would be a good thing if the whole concept of race was abolished, but I don't see that happening any time soon, no matter what science says.  As for the "superior" part, I think that some races are better at some things than others, but that's just a generalization and doesn't allow for individual differences.  When I was in the army, I couldn't help but notice that Blacks generally had bigger dicks than Whites, but I never went around measuring them or anything, so it was not a scientific observation.  Somebody should do a study about that.


No comments:

Post a Comment