Search This Blog

Sunday, March 17, 2019

Some fort, indeed

There were letters from some fort in Louisiana called Tiger Country...

Ah yes, Fort Polk, home of the notorious Tiger Land, or Tigerland, and known, no doubt, by some as Tiger Country.  Because of Tigerland Fort Polk had the reputation of being the absolute worst place to be sent, a hellhole striking fear in the heart of many a young recruit, but I never saw Tigerland myself.  Fort Polk was a huge place back then, split into two forts.  South Fort was the larger of the two and was where all the recruits did their basic training.  North Fort was smaller and was devoted to advanced infantry training, complete with at least one replica Vietnamese village.  I don't know if Tigerland had discrete boundaries or was simply a state of mind but it was located at North Fort.

And you know what?  I don't think anyone cares if it was called Tiger Country, Tiger Land, or Tiger Patootie.  I was going to let it go because Uncle Ken's story was off to a good start and didn't need any distractions from me.  But then Mr. Beagles mentioned those details about US, RA, NG, etc., and decades-old memories came to mind with surreal clarity and all I could think about was Fort Polk.  But I can't tie those memories into a coherent narrative or story; they are all little snippets, memories of certain sights, sounds, and sensations.  I would much rather read about the goings on in Champaign while I wonder how you all managed to stay out of jail, or did you?


1 comment:

  1. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work.
    hotmail signup

    ReplyDelete