Search This Blog

Monday, March 11, 2019

DST Si, pennies and cursive No.

Well, I had no idea that the Institute was such a hotbed of anti DST fervor.  As a retired person it has very little effect on me, I don't even have to worry about changing my clock because my computer and phone do it themselves and so does the modern day clock radio in the bathroom.  Something a little funny about that time change.  Of course you never expect your damn phone to tell you anything, but your computer used to tell you.  As it was firing up in the morning a little pop up thing would say something to the effect, Excuse me Sir, but I have taken the liberty of adjusting the time for you, but anymore it doesn't bother, why tell the carbon unit anything?

Back in those terrible long-forgotten days when I had to toil for the bread in the larder I rather liked the time change.  As inhabitants of the frozen north Gennelmans we need all the harbingers of spring that we can get.  I was of course always aware of five o'clock, and that extra brightness as I was leaving the hellhole buoyed my spirits.  The extra darkness when I woke bothered me not at all, if you are getting up to go to work what difference does it make whether it's light or dark?

DST has a mildly checkered past, it was brought out in WW I, but then taken away afterwards, but then brought back and squabbled over and finally LBJ signed it into law and there you are.  I say keep it for perhaps the wrongest of reasons, it's been going on for a long time and I have gotten used to it.  Pennies though, yeah get rid of them.  Oh and while we're at the same with cursive writing.

I'm sure those privacy people do not like your bank keeping an eye on your purchases, but I have to think Old Dog's bank did him a big favor.  I lost my wallet going through the turnstyles of the el one afternoon and wasn't even aware of it until I got home and there were messages on my answering machine saying that purchases of gasoline had been made on my card and the bank found that quite out of the norm.  I am curious about the details of that suspicious activity on Old Dog's card and I wonder how much the bank told him, normally they don't want to divulge much, for our own good I am sure,  I'm curious about this idea that it has something to do with the way credit card numbers are generated.  Does Old Dog think somebody just made up a number and it happened to be his?

No comments:

Post a Comment