Search This Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2019

Earth is a Restless Mother

I saw this on Face Book last night, but it was gone when I went to click on it later.  No problem, Cortana found it for me just now in short order:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/chicago-is-sinking-heres-what-that-means-for-lake-michigan-and-the-midwest/ar-BBUjDLU?li=BBnbcA1

At the present rate of four inches per century, it shouldn't be a problem for the likes of us but, if it continues, future generations will have to deal with it.  The article mentions New Buffalo, Michigan, where I used to spend some of my vacation time back in the day.  Even then, a house would tumble into the lake every once in a while, but that was because it was built too close to the bluff.  It was all highly erodible sand and the waves and ice floes did a job on it in high water years.  It didn't help when lakefront residents cut down the trees that had grown up in front of their houses because they were blocking the view of the lake.

It's hard to imagine life without toilet paper, but I believe it's only been around for a century or so, and some parts of the world still don't use it.  I suppose it's just a matter of what people are used to, and people can get used to most anything.  When I first moved here, I was surprised to see a few homes that still didn't have running water, but they all had a television set.  Some of our rural areas didn't get electricity until the 1950s, and running water won't run without it.  Funny, though, that a TV set would be a higher priority than indoor plumbing.  The explanation I usually heard was that a TV set is a lot cheaper than a modern well and septic system.

Here's another spooky AI story:

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBUdn87?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

No comments:

Post a Comment