Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Persephone powdering her nose and getting set to open the door

In Washington, nearly 60 percent of the voters in November approved Initiative 1639, which raises the minimum age to purchase a semiautomatic rifle to 21, enhances background checks and increases the waiting period to buy such guns to 10 days.

Are these Washington counties suffering from not enough teenagers running around with semi automatic weapons?  Not enough criminals and nuts brandishing semis?  When you get in the mood to go out and spray someplace with semi automatic fire is ten days too long to have to wait?  I just don't see what is onerous in that law to make those local sheriffs go all posse comitatus.


I can however sympathize with Beagles going all posse comitatus over the weather.  Shoot to kill Old Man Winter is what I say, don't read him no rights and don't let him hire some bleeding heart lawyer.  The only bleeding we want to see is those icicles from his cold, cold heart.

My first winter in Austin I was like ain't this something, my second winter I was like hey, I could get used to this, as the third winter approached I was jobless and running out of money and really should have returned to the frozen north, but I stuck it out one last winter and came back in the spring.  In the back of my mind was the thought that I would get up a grubstake and leave for a more summery clime.

But I did not leave and it was not all that bad.  I had remembered those winters of my youth here when it seems like snow fell a little after Thanksgiving and did not go away until mid March, but nada, a brief cold spell here and there, but no big deal.  But then came the polar vortex of 2014, and there was a winter, and now this one with its double punch.  Geez Louise.

And even those days when it's not all that bad, mid-twenties and ten to twenty mile wind, days I used to laugh about, maybe try to get by with a sweatshirt and a jacket and no heavy winter coat, anymore I step outside and get a fat icy smack in the face.  It's the wind, and it always seems to be windy.  The older you get the thinner your skin and without that thick layer of fatty cells why that wind goes straight to the bone.

Anyway this morning is warmer than last morning and the morning after that will be warmer still and there is word of 40s by the weekend, and two weeks after that comes the equinox and nothing, save a world ending meetup with a huge asteroid can stay the planet from its orbit, and eventually the thin maiden in the leaf green gown will be jingling the keys and opening up her The Living Is Easy Cafe.  Here's a little Something I came across googling for the goddess of spring.  I hope it warms the hearts of the dawgs.

No comments:

Post a Comment