Search This Blog

Sunday, August 20, 2017

No Big Deal

I saw a solar eclipse back in 1963 when I was working on a pig farm in Alaska. It wasn't total, maybe 75%, which is what they are predicting for our location this time. We were warned not to look at it directly, but we snuck a few quick glances. I thought the reaction of the wildlife and the farm animals was more interesting than the eclipse itself anyway. They had a few horses there, and some pigs of course, and they all went to sleep as soon as it started to get dark. The wind went down, the birds stopped singing, and the mosquitoes came out to play, just like it was a regular evening. About a half hour later, when it started to get light again, the farm animals woke up. I thought they looked confused, but they soon got over it and went about their business, and so did we.

Then there was another one back in the 70s or 80s. This time it was a cloudy day, and they were only predicting around 50%. I wasn't too excited about it, but I did plan to observe my dogs' behavior. Unfortunately I fell asleep in the recliner and missed most or it. It was still a little dark when I woke up, and I thought that I had slept the day away, but then I remembered the eclipse. I don't plan on sleeping through this one, but I didn't get any of those magic glasses or make one of those pinhole boxes. Maybe I'll just watch it on television.

I don't know anything about Kid Rock, but I heard that he was running for the senate. Well, why not? I would like to see us elect a Republican, any Republican, but I would be surprised if that happens. The Democratic incumbent is a nice lady and I have never heard anything bad about her. Our other senator, a newbie Democrat, won the last election in spite of our state going to Trump. We also have a Republican governor and Republican majorities in both houses of the state legislature, but both of our US senators are Democrats. The US congressman from our district is a Republican, but I don't know about the other districts.

No comments:

Post a Comment