Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Geography Can be Fun

South Pacific may refer to:

Places[edit]

  • Australasia, a region of Oceania, including New Zealand, Australia, Papua New Guinea and neighbouring islands
  • Sub-equatorial Oceania, a region centered on the islands of the southern Pacific Ocean
  • South Pacific Ocean, the southern part of the Pacific Ocean, usually the area south of the equator
It seems that the term "South Pacific" can refer to more than one thing. If you want to be specific, you should say "South Pacific Ocean", because some islands north of the Equator are often said to be in the South Pacific, but not in the South Pacific Ocean.

Speaking of imaginary lines: I got to wondering today how Kim was able to react to my blog post so quickly. I'm pretty sure that Korea is on the other side of the International Date Line, which means it's tomorrow over there when it's today over here. So, if I post something today, Kim could read it tomorrow, but since tomorrow is today from his perspective, he thinks that I posted it yesterday. Therefore, it would seem possible for Kim to read my post a day before I actually posted it. His reaction to my post, if it happens today for him, happened yesterday for us, making it appear that his reaction immediately followed my post of yesterday for us, which is today for him. I hope that makes sense to you guys because I'm starting to confuse myself. 

Speaking of the Equator. Did you know that only 10% of the world's population lives south of the Equator? Our local TV news featured that fact on their quiz of the day some time ago. I didn't believe it at first, but then I got to thinking how Africa and South America get skinnier the farther south you go, with their fattest parts right around the Equator. Furthermore, most of Asia and all of Europe are north of the Equator, and a lot of people live there. Another thing is that on a flat map of the world, called the Mercator Projection, the extreme northern and southern regions look larger than they really are, giving the impression that more people live there than really do.

South East Asia, where Vietnam is, used to be called "French Indo-China", although I don't suppose the locals ever called it that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment